Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Bavarian M1 carbine Surprise

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bavarian M1 carbine Surprise
    Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 12:30am

Bavarian M1 carbine Surprise

First I would like to thank everyone involved with this wonderful website.  Thanks to this website I just found that I’m the proud of Bavarian/Lower Austria  M1 Carbine and have been for many years and did not know I had it.

It’s a long story but one M1 Carbine I always wanted to own was a National Postal Meter.  About 14 years ago I went to a local gun shop to purchase a M1 Carbine for my young son to learn hunting skills with me.  The owner of the gun shop was a old friend and pulled out several carbines with a price range from $350.00 to about $600.00. The high price was for the Postal Meter.  I told my story why I wanted the Postal Meter Carbine to the owner but told him I could not afford it and went with the lower cost carbine which I thought was a Inland. I had the owner install a cheap scope mount and scope while I was there. My son used the carbine a few times hunting with me but decided he wanted a shotgun  and the carbine became a safe queen.  About three weeks ago I pulled the carbine out of the safe to oil and when I turned it over I noticed some strange letters “LGKNO” and 2646 stamped on the trigger guard. I have cleaned this weapon many times but never noticed the stamping.  I started to research the lettering and ended up here at the Carbine Collectors Forum.  I took the Carbine apart to inspect the parts, including taking off the scope mount.  The first thing I noticed was the carbine was not an inland but a National Postal Meter.  The owner of the gun shop died years ago and could not ask him how I ended up with a rifle I could not afford, but think he had a soft side and gave me the Postal Meter rifle after hearing my story. The following is all the information I found on the carbine after stripping it down except the internal trigger parts.  I would appreciate and information on parts I was not able to identify and any other information you could provide.

National Postal Meter #153XXXX receiver. No marking on left side (all matching last four serial numbers on parts) manufacture date 1-43/9-43?

Underwood  7-43 ,flaming bomb, muzzle is original, 5 inches below muzzle on top is a punch mark, no P mark? Skirt is long. Is this the original barrel??

Intrac Knox TN stamped under barrel near front sight. Imported 1993?.

IS stamped on front sight ?

JM stamped on barrel band, has bayonet lug .(added after rebuild)

IRCO 7160060 rear sight.(added after rebuild)

25 S stamped on bolt lug? Last four numbers of serial number etched on top of bolt

LGKNO stamped on bottom of trigger housing, 2646 stamped on trigger guard ,(inventory number). *U* stamped on housing inside mag wall? 13 stamped on bottom ? and number 4 inside housing? Last four serial numbers stamped on rear of housing (lugs).

M stamped operating slide? Spring inside receiver.

Gas piston unmarked , has original piston housing,

WA dog legged hammer (large)?

BI stamped on trigger?

Recoil plate unmarked.

M (U) stamped mag release?

MI stamped mag catch?

M stamped on top stock with last four serial numbers?.

Bottom stock has last four serial numbers stamped in sling well over what looks like upside down V? 55 rack number on bottom right. No other markings on stock. Note-bottom stock is a little lighter then the top stock.

M(U) flip trigger release (updated during rebuild)

Stolla Wein leather strap 1ABl5C62.

Name KRENN written inside leather sling.

Oiler SI or IS with O around letters?, still has what smells like motor oil in it.

Rustyb
Rustyb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 12:47am
I forgot to add that the operating slide also has the last four serial numbers stamped on it. Rustyb
Rustyb
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 9:45am
Look inside slide for makers mark.
What type trigger housing?
What type stock?
Are you sure hammer is dog leg?

Pictures, pictures, pictures.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 9:49am
Rustyb,
Welcome to the forum, I think I can help you out with some of your questions.
Front sight- could the IS really be SI? If so Inland
Bolt- Standard Products
Op Slide- where is the marking? inside? could the M really be a W? If so Winchester.
Hammer- WA is a post War rebuild mark for a type III hammer, not a "dog leg" are you sure the hammer is type I or II dog leg?
And I think your BI marked trigger is Inland. 
Hopefully someone else will help with the rest of your questions. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 10:01am
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

Pictures, pictures, pictures.

Yep, Agree! Pictures are worth 1000 words.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Rustyb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 3:20pm
W5USMC
Thank you for responding to my post.  If you hold the rifle with the barrel up the stamp on the front sight is IS. If you turn it upside down it is SI.  On the Op Slide , holding it up towards the muzzle the M is on the outside bottom facing the stock. If you turn it around it could be a W. The W or M has two little lines at the end of the letter, which probably makes it a W.  You are right on the Hammer. It is not a dog leg and has a big head.  One thing I left out, The Carbine is black with no sign of sandblasting.

Thanks again for your help.  I will read the section on posting pictures and see if I can upload them.

Rustyb
Rustyb
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 5:27pm
Look inside the slide, bet ya it has a mark.-
Rustyb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 5:48pm
New2brass
You are correct *U* underwood?

Rustyb
Rustyb
Rustyb View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rustyb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2017 at 5:56pm
New2brass
Nice catch, Thanks!

Rustyb
Rustyb
 Post Reply Post Reply