Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Possible universal redux

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharps40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2021 at 5:40am
Reviving an old thread....

I'm thinking of selling this redux but not sure how to price it fairly......could use some advice.

I use it. I've fired it/hunted with it. It has the feed ramp polished and a 11 Degree target crown. Runs great on full power ammo, weaker Tulammo sometimes failes to eject but mostly runs fine too.

Rifle with scope and mount, sling, 3 each 5 round magazines (one original, 2 new promag), 2 each 10 round magazines (new promag), 4 each 15 round magazines (new promag), one mag pouch.   Original box and papers too.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2021 at 6:39am
I would suggest it be priced in the area of any other run-of-the-mil Universal on various auction sites. I doubt if anyone interested in purchasing a Universal is going to be aware or interested in the differences between the generations and a redux.   
Sharps40 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharps40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2021 at 6:57am
copy.  It's why I asked.  Current auctions are 400 to 1300+ with no evident differences between auctions
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2021 at 8:25am
I agree, selling prices seem to be all over the place and it might get down to some buyers being aware of the differences in generations. Get an gen-1 (earlier the better) and you will have a decent carbine somewhat (and early enough completely) compatible with USGI components and that version will sell at a premium to later generations. The redux falls in the category of being somewhat compatible depending on what Universal decided to do that day. The redux is obviously rare, but is it valuable enough to command a premium because it might have a couple of features that make it better than a gen-3 or 4?

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 08 2021 at 9:42am
Your carbine is a good example of the problem with the "generations" approach to separating one Universal from another. Whatever defines one generation from another doesn't apply to this carbine.

Just a suggestion, avoid giving it a generation. It will avoid confusion.

Point out in the listing that it has a GI style slide with single recoil spring but some of the features of the later carbines. Those redux carbines were not made for retail sales. They were made for police agencies and governments that wanted something that disassembled/reassembled like the GI M1 carbines. OKay to add this tidbit to the listing.

If you have a headspace gauge checking the headspace to make sure it's within spec would be a bonus to any buyer. Especially one who knows how important headspace is.

With all those magazines and the scope I'm guessing you should get about $800 for it but it's just a guess. As noted, prices are all over the map.

Jim
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2021 at 3:36am
Sharps40,

Just a suggestion and posted here for all to see as not all are aware of this.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/915834245

Photographs sell your carbine. They are a "hook" that will also get people to read the description. Don't rely on them to ask for more as many will just glance and move on.

You did a good job of cleaning the carbine before taking pics. Many are too lazy as they are selling it, not maintaining it. Which may be a clue as to the mindset of the owner. A clean carbine shows that good to great condition. A dirty one hides bad condition but also hides great condition. We're talking higher bids.

Those are pretty basic things. Knowing what you have and what you are showing here's a few suggestions:

Accessories:
- those magazines ... add at least one pic of everything together with the carbine. Mags, ammo, cleaning kit, whatever is included. Mags cost $ so they up the value.

Stock:
The three areas most likely to crack on a carbine stock are something to take pics of and share. Doesn't require a bunch of pics, just one of each.

• area behind and around the recoil plate
  • area around the recoil plate screw nut between the trigger housing and handgrip
  • area around the inset in the stock for the barrel band spring

Receiver
    A couple pics showing the condition of the bluing/finish - usually a pic or two of the markings can do this.

Barrel
    Your pic of the underside of the barrel is good. Add a pic or two showing the barrel finish. A pic of the front sight with the first 4-6" of the barrel is a good one. One right side, one left side. Adding one of the top and bottom is even better.

That's a nice looking carbine in great condition. Many that old don't look near as good.

This isn't comprehensive, just a few suggestions.

Jim

Sharps40 View Drop Down
    Recruit
    Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharps40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 15 2021 at 11:14am
    Thanks.   I'll have to wipe it down and clean again.....shot another deer, so the bore and the grease on the barrel/slide will be dirty and i suspect they'll be some more woods bits in there from tracking.
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12