Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1 stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davetaylor10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: M1A1 stock
    Posted: Aug 14 2017 at 1:52pm
I obtained an M1a1 carbine folding stock few years back from a collector from France, he believed it came from equipment bought in when the US airborne were resting up at Mourmelon Le Grand in late 1944, anyway it has two markings which are a bit different than other M1a1's. The OI is at the front of the stock and under the pistol grip it's just R1, I believe it was one of the first stocks using J.s Richardson grip?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 14 2017 at 5:58pm
Crossed cannons stamp on the bottom of the pistol grip is not GI.

In this case, the pistol grip is marked with a circle P. A P on the pistol grip is an arsenal mark applied during a rebuild operation. Rock Island Arsenal also applied a circle P stamp to the pistol grip during rebuild operations, commonly seen on the left side and usually thicker. Most rebuild P marks I've seen are stamped on the front of the pistol grip. Is the back of the stock marked with a circle P?

The butt plate looks GI. Hard to tell on the other parts without closer examination.

More information about M1A1's including rebuilds can he found here:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/modelM1A1.html
 Post Reply Post Reply