Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Can't see Circle P except in a photo.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can't see Circle P except in a photo.
    Posted: Jul 29 2017 at 10:51pm
When I acquired this rifle I took a bunch of pics to id what I had and only then discovered the Circle P stamp.  It's practically invisible to the eye but not worn off.  You can see it, barely, using side lighting.  Can't feel it.  It looks like it was stamped and then the mark filled with linseed oil.

First pic with bright desk light is pretty close to what you see, not much.  Next pic is what the camera reveals with the flash.  Perhaps the flash is penetrating the finish and lighting it up. 

Did they hang these stocks butt side down to dry?

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2017 at 11:14pm
Exactly how some of my CC cartouches are, can barely see them even with a magnifying glass but they show up pretty good in pics under the flash of a camera.  I will say though that I recently re-oiled a few of my stocks and it seems that I can now see some of the lighter and worn markings a little bit better. 
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2017 at 11:39pm
has the stock been sanded? does it have rebuild marks?

Sometimes what happens when the stock gets wet. the compressed fibers rise.

Sometimes a stock gets sanded, then it gets wet. the fibers rise and the proof is proud of the stock! either that or they had braille proofs.... nah. 

Many times I find interesting things by photographing. your eyes see things different than a lens.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 29 2017 at 11:57pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Exactly how some of my CC cartouches are, can barely see them even with a magnifying glass but they show up pretty good in pics under the flash of a camera.  I will say though that I recently re-oiled a few of my stocks and it seems that I can now see some of the lighter and worn markings a little bit better. 

What do you oil 'em with?  I used a bit of BLO a year ago since the stock was bone dry but hesitant to use anything since then.  Raw linseed was originally used, then they let them dry for an extended period if I recall correctly.  I think a layer of that covers and fills my Circle P mark.  There are even a couple runs of it on the bottom of the grip partially obscuring the CC cartouche like yours.

Now that my memory is jogged there were tons of details I missed about mine that the camera revealed.  Of course I ain't no spring chicken anymore.  Can still hit the 10 at 100 with a peep sight though!

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2017 at 10:18am
I only use Raw Linseed Oil, I let the stock hang for 24 hours, then rub whatever oil is remaining off with a dry rag.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2017 at 10:35am
Originally posted by Sledge Sledge wrote:

I used a bit of BLO a year ago since the stock was bone dry but hesitant to use anything since then.  Raw linseed was originally used, then they let them dry for an extended period if I recall correctly.  I think a layer of that covers and fills my Circle P mark.  There are even a couple runs of it on the bottom of the grip partially obscuring the CC cartouche like yours

RLO soaks into the grain, though dry to the touch I believe it slowly evaporates. You can put additional layers or RLO over RLO. This is what was done by the military on carbines and all manuals call for that as upkeep regardless of what the troops actually did. RLO should not fill the CC

BLO only minimally soaks into pores and dries on the surface sealing the grain. BLO may fill a CC.  You cannot  apply RLO over BLO as it will not soak in and just wipe off. You can scuff surface and add more BLO.

BLO chips and harder to fix finish. RLO you can just give a wipe down and its fixed.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2017 at 1:18pm
RLO only.

Have seen varying degrees of the M1A1 circle P back of the stock stamp. Sometimes faint, sometimes not. They all have that look to them.
 Post Reply Post Reply