Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland M2 in Canada For Review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 31 2017 at 8:46pm
This M2 still has the barrel band screw. I guess it was backed all the way out during disassembly, but it's there in an earlier photo.

I assume the magazine is compliant, because much scrutiny is placed on members of this type of legal machine gun owning group in Canada.

I received permission to post what my friend sent me in his e-mail, and I think it does well to provide further insight. Here it is:

"The rifle has very few parts with any manufacturers marks on them. There is absolutely nothing to indicate it was ever in Canadian Army inventory.

Nothing marked with a C Broad Arrow.

The crack in the stock that has the repair done does not go all the way through the wood. The barrel is 18 inches long.

I see a chap in Victoria has added some commentary about M2’s he has seen but are converted to semi-auto. He also mentions carbines with barrel extensions and the legality of owning full auto parts but the prohibition of actually putting them on your gun. I think he is speaking as a person that isn’t able to possess functioning full auto firearms and while what he says is mostly correct it doesn’t exactly apply to the few of us that legally own the full auto firearms.

To say Canadian firearm law, regulation and policies are a quagmire would be an understatement.

Through an access to information request with the RCMP I was able to learn that in 1998 there were 469 people in Canada licensed to own full auto firearms. At that time we could still go to our range and shoot them. At the time I received my report (November 26, 2016) only 301 still had that licence. There is another “class” known as converted full-auto and in 1998 there were 1632 holders of this licence. Today they are down to 1376."

BTW, my friend is watching this post, and appreciates all the comments.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2017 at 9:24pm
Member "jim c 351" on Machinegunboards.com posted about this thread last night, and mentioned the following, which I received his permission to copy here...

"One of the readers questioned why there were 2 slide stop indents on the receiver. One near the front and one near the rear.

The indent near the rear of the receiver was done by Inland to hold the bolt open.

The indent near the front was done later, probably after leaving the military. If used , this indent will move the slide away from the piston to prevent empties from being ejected.

Many years ago it was written about in the American Rifleman magazine and thought to be a good idea for saving brass.

Later it was discovered that this modification resulted in cracked gas piston housings.

Do not use.

Jim C"

Any thoughts or further information you may have on this subject is appreciated!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2017 at 11:20pm
Interesting, so by using that indent to "prevent empties from being ejected" you are pretty much making the carbine a bolt action instead of semi-auto or auto?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 24 2017 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Interesting, so by using that indent to "prevent empties from being ejected" you are pretty much making the carbine a bolt action instead of semi-auto or auto?

Yes, it effectively makes it a bolt action. Seems like ammunition must have been constrained at some point to drive this modification to conserve cartridges for reloading.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12