The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hitting right

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HCSO249 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hitting right
    Posted: Jul 21 2017 at 2:49pm
I posted the following on CMP and got some advice but thought I'd share here too to see if anybody else has any ideas:

I installed a flipper on one of my rifles. Zeroing hasn't gone as well as I would have hoped. I'm using a rear sight tool to push it, not a brass drift and hammer.

Looking for words of wisdom, knowledge and know-how.

I'm hitting right of center about 3.5 inches. That's down from about 6" right. I have moved the rear sight as much as I think I should and it is left of center in the dovetail now. What else can be done to move the hits left? I don't know what else I should do other than pushing further to the left or just using Kentucky windage. I would rather put it back as center as possible.

Neil

Quoted reply: 1) Check index marks. Must be exactly centered.
2) Re check head space. Over or under indexed barrel?
3) Run a set of progressively bigger barrel straightness gages gently down the bore. Slightly tweaked barrel?

Was the Carbine dropped or mishandled? Any other thing not visibly correct? Loose front site? Any front site looseness is not good. Can you shoot it at 200rds? 300 yards? Curious how it prints at longer ranges. Key holing?

Try an easy experiment if you have a good .30 laser BORE sighter. At dusk or dawn bench rest the Carbine and see where the laser hits at 100 yards. Then 200 yards when darker. Eyeball through the irons and get a rough comparison.

The offset error should be the same which means the laser will get bigger and dimmer but the error should be proportional to the range. Then try a CHAMBER laser if you have one. Same thing. Use the lasers instead of bore straightness gages.

Compare the difference. If the same that means the barrel is probably straight enough. If the laser printing is different, then perhaps something bent. If both the same, then probably some manufacturing thing with the receiver or barrel threads.

My reply: Thank you! I haven't tried it at 100yds yet, been too stinkin' hot here in So Central MO to spend much time outside. My son was bored the other night and shot 30 rounds to see where it was hitting. Shot from 50yds and it kept the groups at about 3 to 3.5 with couple keyholes. Prior to changing the rear sight it was shooting the same way. As tight as one could expect.

I've been contemplating a front band change from a Type 1 to a 2 or 3... I'm guessing that really isn't going to move the impact of the round left but I'm sure it will help to some degree. The lock-up and hang are good in the recoil plate and stock but I think it could be a smidge tighter to hold the barrel up just a bit more above the wood. Again I dont figure its going to put my rear sight dead center of the dovetail by doing both of those.

Barrel index marks as lined up as lined up can be. Flats are level and no bind in action. I will re-check the headspace but suspect it hasn't changed. But leaving every possibility open. If I cant get it figured out I'll likely put the adjustable back in. Which is a shame since this is a 6 digit and no staking was done to the dovetail. Frown
Fortune Favors the Foolish
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2017 at 5:12pm
You will likely get similar suggestions here. I know one wants things to look pleasing and balanced to the eye, but you may just have to live with the sight pushed left-of-center. If you look at a lot of carbine sights, even in pictures, many of them will have the rear sight skewed to the left. U can't always have one in which the sights line up perfectly in the center of the dove-tail. I have three carbines and every one of them are skewed to the left...a bit. If you have room to push....push it over and see if you can get it to zero to your liking. If you already have it pushed all way over and still shooting right, it might be time to consult a smith.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2017 at 5:57pm
I too have an original carbine and the flip sight is staked well to the left of center
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2017 at 7:43pm
Neil, your first quoted reply is not accurate. There is a thread here on this topic. Maybe one can link it.

The alignment marks are a starting point for the armorer. From there you are supposed to check alignment with parallels and adjust as necessary. this is in a TM

It can be any of the other issues, but start there (i see you say flat, but to what degree)
Is the barrel inland and is the date consistant with serial.

Befor swapping band if you think that is the culprit i would just loosen and take a few shots and see how it moves
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 21 2017 at 8:54pm
Not sure if this is the one you had in mind but here's a topic on barrel replacements...
 Post Reply Post Reply