Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RSG / IR-IP Marked Sling Well ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RSG / IR-IP Marked Sling Well ?
    Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 7:55pm
Did anyone else notice this ? I have been waiting for the auction to end to post this and get some feedback. You have to scroll down to picture 20 , I have never seen one marked this way or if I have I didn't notice it. What say you ? Thanks Chris

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/666541690
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 17 2017 at 9:06pm
CCNL 374 talks about 1 report of a HW I cut stock marked in the same way, though I suspect the stock in the link isn't the same one. CCNL 347-14 talks about a HG marked in the same way. It also theorizes the source of the marking.

Carbine Condition Assesment

I'll start.

1) A faint P mark forward of the wrist. A sure sign of a visit to the arsenal yet no other arsenal marking. Hmmm....

Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 12:47pm
Ted good point ! I will have to re look at 374, after you mentioned the hand guard I do seem to remember one like that. Thanks
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 6:14pm
I have an early I-cut IR-IP with RSG stamped on top of it .
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 7:05pm
Nice to know an original configuration stock is out there.

Wondering if there is a flaming bomb in the sling well?

Is your handguard marked in the same way?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 7:10pm
I didn't see any mention of a HW, I-cut IR-IP stock with an SG in NL 374.  Here's a topic I started last year with a couple comments from others having stocks with similar markings.  Any more info would be helpful. 

Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Rcycles45 Rcycles45 wrote:

When you say top, where exactly ?? I'm a little challenged at times. LOL

Top of the sling well or top of the stock ?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 8:10pm
374-5: Stocks and Handguards, 1st paragraph, last sentence mentions a report of a HW I-cut stock marked IR-IP and RSG.

Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

I didn't see any mention of a HW, I-cut IR-IP stock with an SG in NL 374.  Here's a topic I started last year with a couple comments from others having stocks with similar markings.  Any more info would be helpful. 

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 18 2017 at 9:47pm
I was wondering about it having an SG Acceptance Stamp (cartouche)?  The table on 374-6 does not mention an SG.
Rcycles45 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rcycles45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2017 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Car Wash Chris Car Wash Chris wrote:

Originally posted by Rcycles45 Rcycles45 wrote:

When you say top, where exactly ?? I'm a little challenged at times. LOL

Top of the sling well or top of the stock ?

In the sling well there is a RSG stamped right into the IR-IP stamp , There is no Flaming bomb in sling well . There is a nice S'G' cartouche on right side . Ill post a pic when I get a chance ..
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2017 at 8:09am
Any theories as to the timing of when the stamps in the sling well were applied? Since they at over each other can you tell which one came first?
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2017 at 11:14pm
Stamped:
Irwins made this for IP so stamped: IR IP first
Oops, Contract rejected, Restamped: RSG 2nd
Faint Boxed S'G' on the right side.
Surprised to see that big of a wood knot forward of the boxed S'G' on a Irwin stock.
Most often these would have been puttied or had a Dutchman patch over them.
No signs here of the RSG Green Number Stamps inside the stocks op slide well area.
Wood Knot must have been puttied, after stock was stripped and sanded the Putty was gone along with any green number stampings.

Any thoughts as to if this wore a Type III bayo band at one time?

Cheers
Charlie-P777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2017 at 7:36am
Charlie that makes sense, I would guess that stocks marked this way in the sling well could also have a double stamped CC or a faint boxed IP with a boxed S'G' over it ?

Chris
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 20 2017 at 8:10am
Thanks Charlie. The scenario makes sense.

Signs of a faint P mark forward the wrist.
Signs of a bayonet lug.
 Post Reply Post Reply