Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

HSA Slide - type 5

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 15 2017 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by Lupus Dei Lupus Dei wrote:

As a writer and "status quo challenger" I am a bit taken back that you would seemingly validate something with so little to back it.

My validation was not meant to be the final arbiter. It was meant to encourage the member who was digging into uncharted Carbine territory. I believe you want to encourage that on this site. I thought the poster's premise was sound, and it checked off two boxes in my mind. For a moment, I thought "HSA" was some kind of High Standard mark, but then I realized they did not use "Arms" in their company names. So, that was check number one. Second, I remembered that some subcontractors used a single letter prefix attached to the primary contractor's mark. Thus, "HSA" made sense as a subcontractor to Springfield Armory. That checked box number 2 for me. I then commented that it made sense, and encouraged the poster by hitting the "Thanks" button. That does not seem like something to be "taken aback" about. It seems like an encouraging and neighborly thing to do...At least that is the way I intended it.

I have not found another site referencing Hurlo.

Herlo is referenced on this site for barrels.

Successful collector forum exists by holding things to a higher standard. This is why we try to use our words carefully.

If you want to begin a conversation about successful collector forums, and higher standards, I'm all ears. Let's compare notes and results.

Some who are considered carbine experts is a ridiculous statement, by who's or what standard.

I think most, including you would consider Larry Ruth a Carbine expert.

Here we are not "experts" rather students continuingly learning and researching.

One of the clubs long time mission is to stop the spread of misleading information, correct wrong information.

You are contradicting yourself, in my opinion. Are we students, or professors? Students learn, and interact. They make mistakes, and sharpen their learning skills along the way. They use the learning process to derive their own theories, and that should be encouraged. You are in the role of "professor." If professors shoot down all theories, or shoot down encouragement among fellow students, this may become an unfulfilling forum. I don't mind you making your statements regarding the "HSA" affirmations, but I do question you going into such an attack mode toward me, when I was just trying to encourage another member. If you'd like to debate my secondary statements about why proof by "either a contract or new item found in the wrap," can be too high of a bar, I think it would be a good debate for which many examples could be referenced.

One of the reasons The Carbine Club made the decision to go online is because the principal contributing members were tired of creating and editing content, and they felt that after almost 40 years of newsletters and documenting myriad Carbine collecting facts, that a significant percentage of the myriad had already been covered. The decision was made to move to a forum, so that less effort was necessary going forward, and the primary content source became the forum members.

Remember books on the carbine topic are published with what was though to be correct at the time of printing. Just because it is in a book does not put it in stone.

I absolutely agree. This also applies to other than Carbines.

Now I wonder how many serious Carbine-o-holics reached out and read the quoted newsletters to find that Bill Ricca wrote the article in 351
For the benefit of those who do not know who Bill Ricca is,
Bill Is a long time collector and researcher of government contracts, Contributor to the Garand Collectors Association and long time Carbine Club Contributor and member.
Bill also engaged in buying government surplus. This is where many items were found new in wrap.
Bills tireless work and time at the National Archives has helped prove and disprove many things over the years.
Bill also spent time at the Springfield Armory for research.
Bill also acquired much of that which was liquidated when Springfield Armory closed.
With that Bill is one that I would trust with a well educated guess.
As far as I know Bill has not found anything that would suggest who made HSA slides.

So with that and the evidence presented so far I will keep HSA as unknown in my book.

Bill Ricca is a good friend of a good friend of mine, and I certainly recognize his expertise and efforts over the years. His website has coverage of Herlo in regards to the M1 Carbine barrels that they manufactured. Herlo also made clamp-on muzzle stabilizers for M14E2/A1 rifles. Feel free to keep HSA as unknown in your book. While not proven yet, it may be soon. W5USMC has a good theory. Again, my affirmation was simply made to encourage his research.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 12:06pm
It was not my thought or intent to attack you, if that is how you feel I do apologize.

Short and sweet, If you had referenced the newsletters Dan had pointed out we would not be discussing this.

Hurlo was quoted, Backed by Worthpoint, it was later that Herlo was mentioned. Please do not twist things after the fact. Herlo used HC on the barrels. That may not be the case on other items if produced for the carbines. 

You are however twisting words. Expert vs Professor are two different things, neither of which am I. Student is more suited as we are all constantly learning and we do not get paid for this.  I did not shoot down any therories, the newsletters an argument for that.

With that  lets keep this on topic.

You have many successful machine gun boards, I request you or anyone reach out to see if we can establish who made HSA barrels for the BAR.

If you are so inclined to do some research please reach out to your friend that is a friend of Bill Ricca and see if we can get to the bottom of this.
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

Maybe it's Herlo of barrel fame instead of Hurlo ???

Lou,

Herlo was mentioned early on in the conversation, as quoted above.

I have been in touch with my friend, and he has provided some good information in regards to Herlo as a primary contractor, but doesn't have anything for them in a subcontractor role.

Herlo used an "HC" on their M1 Carbine barrels. The example that my friend has is Vietnam era production. I will see if he will reach out to Bill Ricca for any further insight.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 4:54pm
David, You are quoting the 12th post. Your post was 9th, Louis' was 10th.
That makes Herlo later in the conversation as I see it
AFAIK Herlo had two government carbine barrel contracts from 1970-1974

They were rejected by the US Gov. In 1975-1976 (Vietnam era) they were sold to South Korea as USGI barrels.

In the 80's Blue Sky Imported carbines from South Korea and there have been reports of Herlo barrels on these carbines. This is contrary to what Bill has seen.

in the 90s barrels were reimported by Armscorp.
The Chrome Lined cannot be headspaced by conventional means (if at all properly)
The non chrome lined may have other issues but there are in fact good ones. I have one that has no issues.
 See link above for figuring which is which, both have HC marks
Best, Dan

Originally posted by David Albert David Albert wrote:

Originally posted by blackfish blackfish wrote:

Maybe it's Herlo of barrel fame instead of Hurlo ???

Lou,

Herlo was mentioned early on in the conversation, as quoted above.

I have been in touch with my friend, and he has provided some good information in regards to Herlo as a primary contractor, but doesn't have anything for them in a subcontractor role.

Herlo used an "HC" on their M1 Carbine barrels. The example that my friend has is Vietnam era production. I will see if he will reach out to Bill Ricca for any further insight.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 8:26pm
New2brass,

I see the sequence now. Thank you for the clarification.

In my eyes, contesting a jump from "Hurlo" to "Herlo" as "twist(ing) things after the fact" is a weak argument. I didn't even make the one letter jump myself. It was offered in the line of discussion here, which I thought was showing solid detective work on a previously un-researched subject. (Definitely something we want to encourage here...) Anyone serious about research would want their mind to remain open to potential spelling or inflectional nuances in seeking answers to a theory. We're talking about one letter in a company name. The phonetic difference between "Hurlo," and "Herlo" is nil.

Again, I was only trying to encourage a fellow member who seemed intrigued with researching this subject. It's not a subject that I have great interest in myself, but I do enjoy when new discoveries are made. Whatever the outcome, whether the "H" stands for "Hurlo," "Herlo," "Hurricane," "Hatmaker," or "Honolulu," it will be new information to the Carbine world. I'm good with whatever may result.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2017 at 4:34pm
Not to beat a dead horse, but I have googled this slides markings every day to see if I missed something. I found this post by Bill Ricca on an old CMP thread concerning this slide.

"Bill Ricca                                                                                                 02-25-2011, 10:00 AM
A while back there was a thread about M2 Slides. The thread continued to a few markings. 

http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=34855
I posted this:

I used to think HSA marked was High Standard Arms, but contract documents have proven me wrong. 

Nobody has been able to confirm the HSA marked slides. High Standard existed under two different names:

High Standard Manufacturing Company, Inc.

and

High Standard Manufacturing Corp. 

I relied on WWII and 1960-80's contracts, which were correct. What I forgot about was the BAR barrels I had. I just looked at one and it is marked:

HSA
1-54

High Standard was known for high quality barrels of all types, so I suspect the barrel is High Standard.

So it appears that the HSA slides were High Standard Arms, a name that was probably used in a limited time, for government contracts, around the time of the Korean War. However the abbreviations are not always directly related, so it could have been HIGH STANDARD MANUFACTURING.

Either way the HSA markings were used during that period."

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 24 2017 at 5:11pm
Very good. Thanks Wayne.
Semper Fi
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12