Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

hand stamped SN

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: hand stamped SN
    Posted: Jul 10 2017 at 6:44pm
I just noticed that my Inland SN last digit appears to be handstamped. The bottom of the last digit (1) does not line up with the other numbers in the SN. It is more readily apparent than can be seen in the photo. I don't have News Letters to look up. Was there a reason for Inland to handstamp the last SN digit? 

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2017 at 7:04pm
as stamping dies saw use they were known to wear and have slippage, I have seen several of different manufactures have serial numbers that did not line up or were off somewhat due to wear of the dies.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2017 at 7:26pm
Have seen UW's and especially IBM's with poorly aligned S/N's. I kinda like it.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2017 at 7:32pm
I wish there was another "1" in my SN so I could compare it with the last digit "1"
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 10 2017 at 10:05pm
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2017 at 1:29pm
Keep in mind that Inland used different number fonts throughout production, including changes within a single block of serial numbers.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 11 2017 at 8:23pm
Were any Inland serial numbers handstamped? I thought only the 1 or 2 in the M1/M2 receiver ring was hand stamped?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2017 at 7:55am
I certainly don't know. Just assumed the '1' to be handstamped since it didn't align with the other numbers. Perhaps my post is misnamed. Cali201's notion of a slipped stamping die makes more sense. 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2017 at 8:57am
No worries colreed. It is an interesting thread since stamping of all kinds can be misaligned.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 12:32am
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

No worries colreed. It is an interesting thread since stamping of all kinds can be misaligned.

Yes, all kinds of miss stamps and alignment problems happened in production

As to the serial number it would make sense that the number automatically advanced on wheels. Last digit being the one with most movement would probably wear fastest and have alignment problems.

Thanks to Ron Dalhamer for sharing this picture again.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 7:55am
OUTSTANDING LOGICThumbs Up
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 16 2017 at 9:23am
Thanks to Ron from me as well, that is a stamping for the books. Somehow it got turned in the jig, was stamped, corrected and then made it out into service? The D appears to be double stamped and/or was deeply stamped.
 Post Reply Post Reply