The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Suggested Correction For Rebuild Markings Matrix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 027737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggested Correction For Rebuild Markings Matrix
    Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 2:23pm
I am new to the forum and a new collector conducting some research on the markings on my Carbine.
As a native Georgian, I was curious about the Augusta Arsenal and noticed that there appeared to be an error in the Rebuild Markings Matrix on this site. According to my research the Augusta Arsenal was located in Augusta, Georgia and not in Summerville , Georgia as indicated in the matrix.
Otherwise this site is a monumental achievement that I will access frequently.
Would appreciate any corrections or comments.
Thanks,
Dave

BDW
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2017 at 11:21am
Dave, where was AA located during the rebuild program?
027737 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 027737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2017 at 2:39pm
Based on my research, the Augusta Arsenal rebuild program was located in Augusta Georgia until the Armory was closed down in the mid 1950's. Augusta is in East Georgia, near the South Carolina border.
Summerville , Georgia is a small town in North Wast Georgia, maybe 200 miles away. There was perhaps a "Summerville" Community in the Augusta Area where the Armory was originally located and this may be the source of confusion.
BDW
027737 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 027737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2017 at 3:04pm
Incidentally, the stamps on the stock of my Carbine are (A A G) and not (A A U). Not sure what that means?
BDW
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2017 at 11:18pm
from the webs, However I am thinking Summerville is a section of Augusta?

U.S. Arsenal in Augusta

The United States Arsenal was established by the then U.S. President George Washington on a site adjacent to the Savannah River in Augusta, Georgia in 1819. It was operated by the U.S. Army.

Due to its unhealthy location of frequent fevers and subsequent deaths occurring among the soldiers and their families, the government eventually decided to relocate the facility to Summerville during the late 1820s. In November 1826, a tract of approximately 70 acres on a hilltop site was purchased for the relocation purpose by the Arsenal's first commander Captain Matthew M. Payne, from Freeman Walker.

The page you cite mentions the third letter. 

Augusta Arsenal often used a third letter. Examples include but are not limited to AAL, AAM, AAP, AAR, AAS, and AAU.

May be inspectors initial or maybe a shift or lot letter.
Unfortunately the rebuild programs were not  researched.
If you are in the area maybe the college or historical society has information.
In a quick search it states number of employees during the rebuild program. Might make an interesting article.
We could use any research, And researcher are needed.

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html

sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2017 at 1:47am
Checking this handy reference book that gives short summaries ....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
World War II sites in the United States - A Directory and Tour Guide by Richard E. Osborne.

"Augusta Arsenal was a pre-Civil War Army arsenal located three miles from town at the Harrisonville Railroad Yards. When WWII started, it still had an inventory of Civil War caissons. The arsenal was enlarged, acquiring 50 new buildings, and was utilized throughout the war to store ammunition and general supplies. It's personnel also did maintenance work on ammunition. In 1955, the arsenal was closed and eventually became a junior college."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Spent a little time searching and reading old newspapers. Hoped to find a history of Augusta Arsenal but the resources I checked were limited in their GA offerings.

Didn't want to make this a long research project so sticking to the questions here I think this article addresses the issues at hand. I cut and pasted the the date/newspaper page info to the short article. The article was one of several short announcements regarding things in and around Anniston Arsenal. What you see below is all of the short piece on Anniston and Augusta. I chose it because it mentions the move to Summerville, GA.

Saw many articles indicating Anniston Arsenal took control of Augusta Arsenal as part of the downsizing and base closures in the 50's and relocated the material from Augusta, GA to Anniston Arsenal.

The Postwar web page on our website has been changed to reflect Augusta, GA instead of Summerville, GA. But, keep reading ...

Below is probably what caused the confusion over Summerville... the Summerville they moved to is a subdivision of Augusta.

Jim
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2017 at 2:58am
Regarding the history of the Armories/Arsenals who did carbine inspect and rebuilds I'm not aware of anyone having taken on this project. Most info has been reported piece meal as individuals found it over the years. Likely because most people have been interested in the carbine history during WWII and have considered the rebuild process a negative influence on WWII history.

I considered taking on this project but have too many I still need to finish up.

Here's a summary of what we know. I've done a small portion of this work with most having been done by others. Note these activities were separate from parts being built for use as replacements/spares.

Outside the U.S.A.

Fabrique Nationale, Belgium
     June 6, 1945 to June 23, 1946 (War Baby II)

Howa Machinery Ltd, Japan

Ordnance Facilities within the U.S.A.

Augusta Arsenal
     closed 1955

Anniston Arsenal

Benecia Arsenal
     closed in 1964

Mount Rainier Ordnance Depot

Ogden Arsenal
     absorbed by Hill AFB in 1955

Raritan Arsenal
     closed in 1964

Rock Island Arsenal
     January 1944 off and on til June 1957 (Man At Arms Magazine # 3 1997)

Red River Arsenal
     merged with Lone Star Ordnance Plant in 1945 and placed on standby status. Re-activated 1950. Renamed Red River Ordnance Depot in 1962 closed several years later.

San Antonio Arsenal
     closed in 1970's

Springfield Armory
     closed in 1968

U.S. Companies contracted by Ordnance for this work

Standard Products
     Contracted January 1951, work still ongoing in May 1951

Underwood Elliott Fisher

Anyone who wants to take this on as a research project a number of us have bits and pieces of information to share. But please make sure you want to take this project on before asking.

Jim
027737 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 027737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2017 at 3:09pm
Thanks Jim for that fast response, the historical tutorial, and the correction to the site information.
I can tell that the resources available via this site are going to be valuable and rewarding.
Dave

BDW
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2017 at 3:20pm
By the way, I don't know if I ever welcomed you to the forum, so just to be on the safe side..."Welcome to the forum!".  As you have already found out there are several folks here with lots of knowledge. 

Best regards 
027737 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 027737 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2017 at 3:58pm
Thank you Sir.
I look forward to participating in the forum activity in the future, and for the opportunity to acquire knowledge of our heritage and military history.
Documenting this kind of history is, not only valuable for our Country's future, but also an opportunity to memoralize the men and women who, during WW2, sacrificed so much for our freedom.
Dave

BDW
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2017 at 4:27pm
Well said!
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image