The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from Sunny South Africa

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 7:55am

I seems to have a BITS and PIECES and remarked as M2.

Shoots like a dream. I reload for it and keep the velocity at 1650 f/s. 110gn Frontier CMJ bullet.

Out of interest I pay roughly 60$ for 1000 CMJ bullets. This is readily available and I think it gets exported to the USA.
Ammunition in SA is scarce, not to talk about casesCry.
I have never seen spare parts nor magazines.
People tend to purchase the 5.56 semi autos' for sport shooting.

My 9 year old twins love shooting it as it has virtually no recoil and the stock being "short", they can get behind it.

Thanking all that have given input, much appreciated.

Gary 
IPSC COMPETITOR: SOUTH AFRICA
FIREARM INTERESTS
HUNTER
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 8:18am
I understand using the magnifying glass Geek!  These guy's on the forum have asked me questions that had me using flashlight (torch?), sunlight, shade, room light, and at all different angles.   And yes, they are short stocked, reminds me of a youth model shotgun or 22 rifle.  It's great you and your kids can go out and enjoy shooting a piece of history together!

I really like the last pic you added of the M2.  Definitely shows indication of an over stamp.  What looks like a possible 1 next to the M might just be the edge of the 2 stamp.  I don't know what kind of tooling they may have used but someone on the forum probably has a good idea.  I Googled and found another discussion that said some 2 stamps missed the 1 such that it looked like a M12.  Maybe one of the other more experienced members can expound on that being true or not.    

Also, asking the previous owner about the history will be interesting.  You definitely have a unique carbine and like manteo97 said, "If it could only talk".   I'm enjoying this "history lesson" and looking forward to more.

Thanks for sharing and best regards.
GaryPaul View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 10:07am

Out of interest, I paid around $350 for the carbine 3 years ago. One went on auction in SA last year and sold at $750 (they said it was a good shooter)

It came with a tactical stock, 2x 15rd mags, 2 x30rd mags, 200rds factory ammo and 200 cases. 

I would like to find original  sling, oil bottle and a BAYONETTESmile. I have friends in Phoenix that visited us last year. Should have asked them to bring it down with them. They might come down next year again.

FIREARM INTERESTS
HUNTER
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 11:37am
If that's $350 US dollars then you got a great deal!  $750 US seems to be the lowest any shooter carbine is going for.  

As for original sling, oil bottle and bayonet, first thing is there are a lot of reproductions as you might guess.  I've learned this first hand and have 5 oilers to prove it.   You might want to post your "Wish list" in the Wanted sub-forum under the For Sale discussion forum.  As for original sling are you wanting earlier C-tip or the later D-tip?  For a modified carbine like your's I would think a nice D-tip would be good.  C-tips bring a premium.  For the oiler I would think an IS would do.   eBay has several listings if you want to try that route but beware of the aforementioned reproductions which may or may not be disclosed.  If you haven't read up on the M4 bayonet, might want to check out Gary Cunningham's page: http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/bayonet_points.htm.

Best of all, you can ask for opinions here on the forum regarding if an item is authentic if you're unsure.  
GaryPaul View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 23 2017 at 2:42pm
Nice info. Thanks.

The rate from US$ to the SA Rand is generally 13.5 Rand to your $1. Being that, my M1/M2 (Smile) was $350.

I will use your tips and research before I purchase "original" items.

Now to try find out more about an inherited 1846 Tower Musket. An old friend of mine got it in the Zambizi area (North of the old Rhodesia) in the 1960's. Not in good condition but it was a "trade musket".
Never the less, one of our gunsmiths had it shooting after cleaning the barrel safety check. Can get all the shots onto a A4 page at 30meters (with no front sight-never had one)....but that is a story for another site.

Keep well and enjoy the weekend....Off to the range tomorrow

Gary
FIREARM INTERESTS
HUNTER
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2017 at 11:25am
Certainly Carbines were sent to the continent.
 http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/carbinesnara.html
However I do suspect the arms trade post carbine program or other means may be the culprit.
GaryPaul View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaryPaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2017 at 1:54pm
Most interesting reading & disturbing at the same time.
I absolutely believe in "responsible gun ownership". Looking at where these wonderful firearms went to and the VOLUMES....it is scary.

Took my twins to the range today. We all shot the carbine. The only problem is that Joshua does not know what it means to aim and shoot one round, breath and then another shot. He shoots out 30rds before taking his 3rd breathWink . Such fun!

For a rifle that is 73 years old it is in fantastic shape and a KEEPER!

Regards

Gary

FIREARM INTERESTS
HUNTER
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 24 2017 at 5:20pm
Nice looking carbine!

Have read about type 6 slides, but so far have only seen Inland and Winch. Add the other I've read about, a type 6 slide marked SG and the part number. Thanks for sharing. Apparently, there's some nice stuff floating around in SA.

Just wondering what kind of following do carbines have in SA?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image