The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel Skirt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 11:40am
I think you just answered a question of a problem I had at the range. The range guard insisted I put a fired casing in the chamber when I finished. I had to pull the slide and push a rod down the barrel to remove the casing.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

James K View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote James K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 08 2018 at 1:26pm
Excellent point by manto97 and of floyd, who said,"The unmolested receiver must be retained. My  shooter quest has started with an Underwood #2.8 mil receiver. Goal is to machine my own complete barrel. As in Swede and 98 Mausers there is a primary and secondary torque shoulders. In a carbine receiver the primary torque shoulder is only partial and not much defined, and I will respect it's present for being there. This is my test bed if you like and barrel to be machine full skirt first. It seems round bolts fit better than flat bolts. Will test them both. My test/shooter barrel will be machined .900" from chamber end to gas port besides flats for the slide. Reason for that is to mount my Leopold Gilmore red dot. Have whittled wood out and added wood in to an old 1904 Swede straight grip stock to fit the workings of a 30 Cal Carbine. Maybe later remove portion of skirt not contacting the torque shoulder only if inhibits feeding or chambering.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12