Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

sling eval, need help

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: sling eval, need help
    Posted: Jun 13 2017 at 5:52pm
I have 3 slings I need to determine if orig/repro/or whatever. 
Sure would appreciate some of you folks expertise to check 'em out for me with any info you can provide.
This is #1.

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2017 at 5:54pm
this is #2

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 13 2017 at 5:56pm
this is #3

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 7:34am
My opinion:

#1 - repro
#2 - original
#3 - original

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 9:10am
Check page 149 of "M1 Carbine" by R.C. Larson for your answer. Your slings could all be re pros but the "C" tip was the original WW 11 design and "D" tip by the Korean war but David's assessment seams correct judging the condition. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 11:09am
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

Check page 149 of "M1 Carbine" by R.C. Larson for your answer. Your slings could all be re pros but the "C" tip was the original WW 11 design and "D" tip by the Korean war but David's assessment seams correct judging the condition. 

Charles, and anyone who owns Larson. Get a sticky note or a thick sharpie and write on the cover or sticky 'Caution" or "use with extreme prejudice"

Please check out the main pages "Books" section

IN the description of Larson there is a link to a newsletter that addresses that book.

Larson credits Riverbank for a lot of parts, Suggest everyone get familiar with Riverbank and George Liakos.

Larson also runs a business L&S that sells reproduction parts.
While on the sling pages I will point out that his sling markings provides fake marks. The color and weaves are incomplete and I would not rely on his colors.

D tips were in use late 44 based on photographic evidence.

Flipping the page to oilers, the early T top oiler shown was not for carbines, they also do not fit in the slots. most if not all oilers on that page were most likely supplied by Riverbank.

As to the OPs question

1. I strongly believe to be a reproduction
2. I believe to be WWII
3. I believe to be Post War

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 12:50pm
Looks like the 3rd one has an anchor on the snap.  Previous post elsewhere from Bill Ricca:
So far in 1950's production I have found:

Dot
Lift the Dot
Klikit Pull
Star Pull
S inside Triangle
Anchor

Based on this I'll go with Mr. Albert.  #1 repro.  #2 has a dot and real.  #3 has anchor and is real.  #2 and 3 are from the 50's. Also the webbing on 2 and 3 is consistent with 1 being an outlier. 
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 12:58pm
https://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=32228

first one (C tip) looks like a cheap repop
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Looks like the 3rd one has an anchor on the snap.  Previous post elsewhere from Bill Ricca:
So far in 1950's production I have found:
Dot
Lift the Dot
Klikit Pull
Star Pull
S inside Triangle
Anchor
 #3 has anchor and is real.  #2 and 3 are from the 50's. Also the webbing on 2 and 3 is consistent with 1 being an outlier. 

Define "real" as they do exist by photographic evidence.
As Bill Ricca stated "Anchor" is 50s production so Post War
The dot is well known as WWII as well as post war. So how can you conclude when #2 was made?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

The dot is well known as WWII as well as post war. So how can you conclude when #2 was made?
Ooops, I apologize.  Got in a hurry and just reiterated what I quoted from Mr. Ricca.   Does anyone know if the weave pattern would be an indicator of WWII production versus post war?   Seems like there was a brief discussion on this at one time.
usmcdoc67 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote usmcdoc67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 14 2017 at 5:30pm
See pages 296/297 in War Baby.
Glenn
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 15 2017 at 8:51am
Thanks everyone. Very helpful.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2017 at 2:37pm
I've studied a lot of canvas firearm accessories, mostly for the Thompson, Reising, and other USGI firearms, but also many European items, and I usually go with my gut and previous experience as to originality. Glad to see it still proves out. Sometimes assessments can't be made by photo alone. As to WWII and post war differentiation, that is where I would consult the books, but the OP was looking for whether or not the slings were original USGI, or repro, "or whatever." The "or whatever" category is one that I have studied very closely, as Reising and M1 Carbine slings are similar, but distinctly different in one feature.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2017 at 4:00pm
David,
Appreciate your comments. 
You know you left me hanging with your last statement......You didn't say what the feature difference is between carbine and Reising slings?????
"Inquiring minds want to know". Care to share?
Thanks
Reed
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2017 at 4:35pm
The space between the loop and the snap is longer on a Reising sling, and there are many reproductions.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 17 2017 at 4:56pm
Got it. Thanks
 Post Reply Post Reply