The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Eleven different suppliers of carbine ammo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eleven different suppliers of carbine ammo
    Posted: Jun 06 2017 at 4:08pm
I really don't try to collect this stuff,... just picked it up along the way.
I have a can of Korean in bandos as well.
Tho't photo might be of interest to someone.
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2017 at 9:20am
Beware buying surplus USGI ammo, you don't know how long it's been sitting around, the primers will absorb moisture over time then you have a misfire. I bought several boxes from a supplier during the great ammo shortage a few years back and about one in ten was a misfire, worse now, looked like the bottom brown box in the picture.

Don't forget Hornady critical defense.

If you want to try some exceptional and fun ammo, buy some Buffalo Bore ammo, it's rated as full power plus +30 M1 Carbine but not +P, it's over 2100 fps/ME 1077 ft lbs.  best of all it's fun to shoot. You can find it, and read more about it at,

www.buffalobore.com
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2017 at 7:40pm
I believe the carbine was proofed with a 140% load. I'm sure it will stand-up to Buffalo Bore. I once called those people to pick their brain about how they accomplished such ballistic results in their ammo. I was told it was proprietary, which is normal for any company to protect it's products I suppose.

I have a different take with older heirlooms. Every time that gun is fired the frame stretches, as it does with any firearm. Maybe only one atom at a time, but things do wear-out. I prefer to use loads that cycle the action and afford decent accuracy without beating the gun up. I'll likely not be around long enough to wear-out any of my carbines, but you never know.Big smile
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 17 2017 at 9:29pm
You didn't mention TulAmmo from Cheaper Than Dirt. It's the cheapest ammo around. It is steel cased. I have been shooting it for years  without a single miss fire and 2" groups @ 50 yards.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 6:21am
Hey Charles, 
Seems I recollect a previous post regarding shooting steel cased ammo in the carbines.  I recall discussions of potentially detrimental impacts on the bolt face and ejector.  Of course this may have been if you shoot 10's of thousands of rounds but several hundred is insignificant.  Any insight on this?

Thanks 
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 8:19am
I just might spend a couple more bucks a case for brass although I don't understand what the difference would make . If anyone knows the answer to that, pleas chime in.Thanks.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 8:50am
Originally posted by sling00 sling00 wrote:

Seems I recollect a previous post regarding shooting steel cased ammo in the carbines.  I recall discussions of potentially detrimental impacts on the bolt face and ejector.  Of course this may have been if you shoot 10's of thousands of rounds but several hundred is insignificant.  Any insight on this? Thanks 

Page 682 of WB, Comes Home talks about the developement of steel cased ammo and states that after extensive testing that steel cased ammo was determined to be a suitable substitute to brass cased ammo, also goes on to say that that "On October 11, 1945 the issue of steel cased carbine ammunition for training purposes was approved by the Ordnance Committee."  

Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 9:13am
That is what I wanted to hear, thanks very much Wayne.
I will have to switch to brass as NRA doesn't allow steel.

Edited by Charles - Mar 30 2020 at 3:49pm
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2017 at 10:13am
I've shot a good bit of it in other weapons..mostly 9MM. I believe the issue was/is with the coating on the cases, or at least in the older stuff. I understand that routine chamber cleaning will solve most of any problems associated with it. I also know that steel does not expand and conform to chambers like brass does, which causes a certain amount of soot and debris escaping from the chamber. I also have heard reports of stuck cases and broken extractors, the former likely causing the latter. I'd expect that routine chamber cleaning would remedy most of that. If I had some, I would likely shoot it, but I am a re-loader so I don't mind paying a few $ more for brass-case stuff.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 19 2017 at 7:54am
I am not an employee of or even associated with BuffaloBore ammunition, but somehow they got a bum rap as producing dangerous ammunition, now, back up, in spit of all the rumors you have heard, YOUR GUN WILL NOT EXPLODED if you use it. The exception being if your gun was going to exploded anyway.

If the Carbine was proofed at 140% as floydthecat says, the carbine could almost withstand a dynamite blast. Truth is, the carbine is rated at average pressures of 40,000 cup as SAAMI max. Buffalo Bore doesn't exceed this. They explain this all on their web site.

I've shot their ammo in my carbines and 9mm hand guns with no problems, in fact I have been well pleased, they give that much added punch desired.

Leave the BS on the ground where it belongs, if their ammo was dangerous they wouldn't be allowed to stay in business, make sense? They'd be sued out of existence.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
 Post Reply Post Reply