Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Recoil plate NUT

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recoil plate NUT
    Posted: Jun 05 2017 at 3:42pm
If you want to remove the recoil plate nut for refinishing, I have a safe way to do it without the danger of chipping the stock.First put a small amount of olive oil on the nut to soften the wood around  it. Let sit over nite.  Remove the recoil plate screw, purchase a 1/4 x 40 nut on the internet, put it on the screw about 1/2" or so from the threaded end followed by a washer. Thread the screw into the recoil nut until it is snug and the washer is pressed against the stock. Now prevent the screw from turning with a screw driver while tightening the nut. This action will draw the nut up to the surface while the washer is holding the wood down and preventing it from chipping. Now back off the 1/4 nut and ever so gently rock the screw and withdraw the nut from stock. If the nut is rusty which is often the case, wire brush it clean.     
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2017 at 4:13pm
Amazing....I have one I need to pull and was going to the hardware store in the morning to find the proper nut to accomplish just what you posted.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2017 at 5:00pm
I doubt you'll find one at the hardware store being  the very small size but worth a try. Good luck.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 05 2017 at 6:19pm
We have an old-time hardware store here and if Amos don't have it....nobody has it. Maybe I'll get lucky.
 Post Reply Post Reply