The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Very interesting ammo. Acquired yesterday

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Very interesting ammo. Acquired yesterday
    Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 3:48pm
Never seen or heard of it before. 
Notice price.....3.49 for box of 20

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 4:30pm
Sears & Roebuck! I wonder who made their ammunition. I bet you could order the stuff right out of the catalog too. I was raised on a farm and my dad ordered baby-chicks from Sears. The mailman brought them right to the house.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 5:01pm
I can't speak for their ammo, but some of Sear's guns they used to sell were made by Winchester, I bet the ammo was too.
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 5:26pm
"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for THAT animal, THEIR world is changed forever"
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 5:41pm
I have my dads old 22LR single shot. Sears called it a Ranger, but it was actually a Marlin-100. I've been looking for a new bolt and actually found one for around $150. Can't quite justify it as the gun only cost $4 new. I think just about every manufacturer made guns for Sears at one time or another.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 5:46pm
Haven't seen that one before. Thanks for sharing. The real shame of it is as a kid I remember Sears was the place to go. They stood behind what they sold and had knowledgeable people working for them. Now, not so much if at all.

Any way to tell an approximate time frame wher these were made?
colreed View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colreed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 5:57pm
No clue. No date and only "made in USA". Head stamp is F C 30 CARBINE.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 6:18pm
F C should be Federal Cartridge then.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 8:06pm
That box is pre 1962, 1962 is when the warning label came out on all ammunition, Sears had ammo made by quite a few companies, just like the guns they sold. Most ammo was made by Federal in the later years. At a time Sears would buy from who ever gave them the best price. Winchester, CIL of Canada were a couple. Earliest ammo went by the name of "Clinton", some of those boxes, 22's, shot shells bring 'big' dollars of course condition rules their too. Is thought Western Cart Co. made the 'Clinton' label but has not been verified. IIRC the Clinton label came about 1928.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 03 2017 at 9:12pm
I bet it's from the 1970's. It has a zip code on it, so it's almost certainly post 1963. The price being $3.50 for 20 makes it about $8.25 for a box of 50, which I suggest coincides with commercial 1970's prices.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2017 at 7:37am
Back in the day you could buy anything from Sears, car parts, even houses!
M1's are FUN!!!
TSMG's are more FUN!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply