Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GI Stock Repair with Plastic Wood?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GI Stock Repair with Plastic Wood?
    Posted: May 20 2017 at 5:13pm
The stock on one of my carbines appears to have been repaired with putty or plastic wood of some sort. Six gouges on the right side and two on the left have been filled with some filler substance and then sanded.

This carbine was from CMP...so the repair probably wasn't some bubba project. Has anyone seen this type of fix before? Could this be an arsenal repair? The carbine is a Bavarian (Bavarian Forestry Police). Could this be something the Germans regularly did?

Another thing I've wondered about...The dents appear very jagged and uneven. Any thought on what caused them? 
jackp1028 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackp1028 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 7:08pm
The repairs you have look familiar. I have a QHMC carbine, also with a CMP cert, that has evidence of some kind of filler applied. The repairs on your carbine looks more recent than mine. Also, my repairs have metal particles imbedded in them. At first I thought they might be shrapnel due to the random shape and the area around them appeared burned. However, others suggest they are probably very old repairs with steel wool particles remaining from final finishing. I also suspect that a MAP or Lend Lease recipient might have been involved at one time as there is FAT stamp on the barrel. However there is no FAT stamp on the stock. Here are some pics. What do you think?

(Updated 3/31/18 to Replace Photoshop Pics)

JackP
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by BEBIII BEBIII wrote:

Another thing I've wondered about...The dents appear very jagged and uneven. Any thought on what caused them? 

Probably warfare, and storage like this...Keep in mind, these were tools when they were in use. Now they are collector items.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 10:18pm
It looks very much like "FAMOWOOD" a wood putty consisting of a fine wood dust like material mixed with epoxy available in many wood colors. Shame they didn't chose a better match.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 8:36am
jackp: I would agree both the damage and the fix look very similar. The repair on mine also appears to have been done a long time ago, but the patched holes don't exhibit any steel wool particles. No FAT stamps, but the stock (Underwood) isn't original to the receiver and barrel (S'G'). Charles: The fact that little effort was made to match the filler with the stock would leave me to believe this was some sort of arsenal repair...not concerned with appearance. Great picture David...explains a lot. I wonder why we don't see more examples of this repair?
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 9:16am
FYI, the CMP has received donated carbines that been checked and sold. So there is always the chance that the putty fix was one such case.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 11:59am
Wonder why these were repaired?  Most of the repairs don't appear to be that large.  Not a woodworker, but would these kind of repairs strengthen the area?  If not, purely cosmetic?

Gouges, dents and scratches build character.  Even if the carbine falls and is scratched, it's part of its history.  No need IMO to cover up history with fillers.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Wonder why these were repaired?  Most of the repairs don't appear to be that large.  Not a woodworker, but would these kind of repairs strengthen the area?  If not, purely cosmetic?

Gouges, dents and scratches build character.  Even if the carbine falls and is scratched, it's part of its history.  No need IMO to cover up history with fillers.

I wondered about that too. The only thing I could come up with was maybe sealing the wood from the elements...wet weather, etc.?...perhaps a bit far-fetched.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by BEBIII BEBIII wrote:

Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

I wondered about that too. The only thing I could come up with was maybe sealing the wood from the elements...wet weather, etc.?...perhaps a bit far-fetched.

Had not thought of that, you may be on to something.  Adding protection and sealing it to keep the elements out makes sense.  Plus cosmetically it is smooth.

BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by New2brass New2brass wrote:

FYI, the CMP has received donated carbines that been checked and sold. So there is always the chance that the putty fix was one such case.

I realize that's a possibility. That's one of the reasons for my post...to see if there were other examples of this fix. If this is a fairly unique repair, the odds certainly increase that it's the work of a do-it-yourselfer.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2017 at 6:40pm
Filling with putty is listed in the TM9-1276 and subsequent TM 9-1005-202-35 for dings and gouges for repair and rebuild.

Seems photobucket has single handedly thrown a wrench in the "a picture tells a thousand words"

This will be a big setback for anyone doing research for years to come.
This forum software was chosen because we can host pictures to preserve the content of the threads.

If anyone used photobucket please consider uploading to your space here.
If you have trouble please contact me and i can upload to the server
 Post Reply Post Reply