Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Handguard Matching

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handguard Matching
    Posted: May 08 2017 at 8:28pm
Saw a thread about handguard matching and thought I'd start a thread.

Here are some stock and handguards.  Which ones do you think match the best?

1&2

3&4

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 5:48am
I'll vote for #1 (top stock in the 1&2 pics).
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 09 2017 at 2:25pm
They all look pretty good, # 4 is a bit off but if they are not from the same tree, it wont be perfect. They are all exceptable when you consider no effort was made or even possible to match stocks with hand guards as they more then likely came from different shops. Still, its an enviable collection.
Charlie
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 8:56am
Great comments guys. No right or wrong answers here. Which one looks the worst? Feel free to rank them if you like. Number 4 is the worst match to me. Also note the overhang it has near the front of the handguard. I have already ranked them but welcome input from others as that is what learning is all about.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 11:08am
OK, I'll try this one as well.  As for worst, toss up between #2 and #4.  Although the stains are pretty well matching, the hand guard on #2 is a very nice straight grain but the stock has a tiger strip.  Then #4 the hand guard is darker and has what appears to be a tighter walnut grain versus the stock's.  

I'll go with #4 as worst due to the obvious difference in shades. 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 6:44pm
I'd probably rank them from closest match to worst: 1, 3, 2 and 4.

Stains on wood in #2 do match, good catch sling00.

BTW, Charles, you saw one of these in person, #4.

Now that we've identified how they are ranked, which ones would we expect to be original?
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 6:47am
Now's the hard part.  But you did say "...that is what learning is all about."  From what basic info I've learned, all the stocks are "high wood" so I would expect all four stocks to have the potential of originality. For the hand guards, #1, #3, and #4 are two rivet so being earlier design I would expect they are original.  As for #2, seems like the four rivets could be original for a couple late issue carbines but then the "high wood" stock would not be period correct.  I'll go with all the stocks and hand guards #1, #3 and #4 being original.    

By the way on #2, is that a Type II barrel band and should that have been a clue?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 8:09am
Spot on sling.

Yes the type two band on #2 is a clue. To those way more experiemced than me may know what these are just by the pics provided. I am far from that but enjoy learning and appreciate those willing to share.

Let's start with #4 which is an Underwood.

How could a hamdgaurd match so poorly yet be original to a carbine? I will start. Maybe the factory wasn't concerned with hand guards matching the stock. Other possibilities are the handguard was provided by another carbine maker like in this case Rock-Ola (it is marked RMC).
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 12:51am
#1 is a Rock-Ola with a 2 rivet RMC handguard.  The RMC mark appears to be boxed, but it isn't.  It appears the stamp made an impression similar to those seen in the slingwell of QHMC stocks and handguards.

#2 is an Inland with a 4 rivet IO handguard.

#3 is an IP with a 2 rivet IR-IP handguard.

#4 is an Underwood with a 2 rivet RMC handguard.  This RMC handguard does not have the boxed appearance like the #1 above.  The barrel date is 5-43.  WB documents a request/authorization for 20,000 handguards made on 4-6-43.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 7:00am
Color-matching can certainly be a concern, but we all know they did not assemble the guns for looks. I prefer a close match as well, but I get more anal about fitment. Just within my rather short carbine collecting life, I have discovered that they all don't fit to perfection. I know we're not building cabinets here, but in your experiences (anybody) is it the norm to expect a little overhang here-n-there as well as the occasional gaps, slight warps, inconsistencies at mating surfaces and lines that don't exactly match at hardware intersections? Many of you guys have seen hundreds and possibly thousands of these things over the years.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 8:53am
I doubt very seriously # 4 started out as they are now. Judging by the many carbines I've seen, they are miss matched and would suggest a replaced hand guard at some later date. When pairing two pieces of wood, it is customary to do a final filing and sanding before finishing. But that is part of it's intresting history.  
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 9:20am
#4 looks "crisp" or "NOS" out of the package. does the carbine match that characteristic?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 11:18am
Judge for yourself.....

hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 11:23am
Very Nice Underwood! 1.42? Even the buttplate looks to have all its finish.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 11:43am
Thanks hunterman....You are spot on.  It is a 1.42. ME on barrel is 1-.  All parts retain most if not all of their finish. All parts are UW except for RMC deep groove 2 rivet handguard.
 Post Reply Post Reply