Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > For Sale > Wanted+
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

WTB: M 1 Carbine as a Shooter

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eforman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WTB: M 1 Carbine as a Shooter
    Posted: May 04 2017 at 8:07am
Hello: I am new to the forum and am looking for a M1 Carbine as a shooter not a collector. Carried an M2 in RVN as an advisor before we received our M16s. I have been researching prices and they seem to run from $1 to 2K. I have the 03 FFL in case I run across one at a gun show or pawn shop. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Edman

Remember: Lead, Follow, or get out of the Way!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 8:26am
Welcome to the forum!  This is a great place to learn and ask questions.  Lot's of knowledgeable folks to help you out. 

Posting a WTB here is a good place.  As you'll see price depends on the manufacturer and respective parts and stocks.   Also if it has an import stamp seems to reduce the price.  I've seen a few mixmaster shooters go for less than $1K.   If you haven't done so, you might want to post a WTB on the CMP forums.  There are more members there.  One precaution you're probably well aware of, just watch for scammers as the CMP had a few showing up.  Typically you can spot them by recent joining, no posts, and no reviews.  The CMP has a topic for reviewing sellers and that works out well.  You can always ask here if anyone has experience with the person.

Once again, welcome!
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 9:09am
Welcome! I bought my carbine off of Gunbroker.com. Keep checking there frequently and compare many of the auctions.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 9:45am
Welcome to the Group. I also carried a Advisor in Nam in 66. and a regular M2 Carbine in Korea. Love the little gun. I stumbled on to a 43 Underwood at a local Pawn Shop for a great price. It was very dirty, and with the adjustable rear sight covering all but the UN of the manufacturer, they thought it was a Universal, and priced accordingly.  :)

Study up on the markings, and make your self a compact booklet to carry with you to quickly check things that you may come upon.  Good Luck.

I am not as knowledgeable as many on here about the complete history of the Carbine, but pretty up on the does and don'ts, and what makes it tick.

Retired Army, 22 years.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 10:09am
The mix-master USGI's can be had for around $800. Shipping will add to that and since you have an FFL, that will save you some money. Try and find one that has a right-to-return. If it's a dog, you can send it back and learn from it. The new commercial carbines are pretty much a toss-up as to whether-or-not you get a good one. As a shooter only, don't look past some of the early commercial guns that are USGI part compatible such as the Plainfield, Iver Johnson and even a generation 1 Universal. You just have to be very particular and look for a low serial number with the Universal. They are not all bad, except for the last 350,000 they made. These commercial GI compatible guns turn-up all the time in the $500 range.
eforman48 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eforman48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 11:19am
Thank you to all that replied with advice! I am a member of the CMP forum and will post there!

Regards,

Edman
 Post Reply Post Reply