Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Handguard color question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richg072 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Handguard color question
    Posted: May 02 2017 at 1:34pm
I have a fairly dark stock with a handguard that is lighter in color.  My question is if I added coats of Linseed would it darken the color making it a closer match?

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 2:19pm
nope, but look at the IBM pictures in the "where are they today" article. Hand guards were thrown on without regard to color match.
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 3:15pm
I seem to get lucky only like about every 5-years. I used one up on a blind purchase of a hand guard simply guessing and hoping it would match the stock. It did and the two look like they were taken from the same tree.Big smile

In reality....I think it's pretty darn hard to get a perfect match on a mix-master. This is a replacement SA shooter stock and an Inland hand guard that came from two different places at different times.

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 2:32pm
It is possible to get an almost perfect match. It would require stripping ALL of the finish down to the bare wood being careful not to disturb any patina markings. It usually requires mixing two or more stains together to get the right color. I would suggest experimenting on another piece of wood before you strip the hand guard to get comfortable with the sample piece. When you get the stain on, you must finish up with the finish of several coats of raw linseed oil until it matches the stock. Good luck. 
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply