Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Circle K carbine stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Circle K carbine stock
    Posted: Apr 25 2017 at 8:17pm
Recently saw an auction for a stock that said it was made by Keystone. The same makers of the M1903 sniper stock, as marked by a K inside a circle. Was this a post war maker surplus stock or a commercial replacement stock? Sorry no pics. :-(
Thanks Michael
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 10:40am
Yes, Keystone did make USGI M2 replacement stocks. I have one on one of my rifles. Not rare, but I haven't seen too many around.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 9:28am
Circle K stock on my Standard Products Carbine I got from the CMP.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 12:07pm
I've actually seen a small number of Circle K stocks with authentic looking Inland cartouche stamps on them. In fact, if you look around the web some you can find some a few threads where people asked who made the K stocks and said BTW it has a cartouche too. Finally, I've seen a few people who say the Circle K stocks are Korean, which I tend to disagree with.
SSNPingjockey View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2021 at 12:39pm
I've had this M2 stock for a while and was going to put it on a carbine that I am going to use as my "shooter".

I had seen the K in a circle stamp and just now took the time to search the forum to see if anyone knew what the Circle-K meant.

It appears that there is some agreement by Dan and Bill that it is likely for Keystone Manufacturing.

There is another thread that references Bill Ricca:
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/m2-stock-mark-question_topic3781.html

"This is a quote from Bill Ricca found on the CMP forum.....

"I need more documentation to prove it, but I think it may be Keystone Manufacturing from Boston, Mass during WWII. Keystone had two other stock contracts, one which I can identify for the 03 series rifles.
Keystone had a "Stock Assemblies" contract from 10/44 thru 5/45. The time puts it in line with M2 Production. Can't prove it yet, but it makes sense.
I doubt it is post war due to the location of the markings."

Several other examples on the net show the circle K with a different number...maybe indicating which batch it was from?"

Just wondering if anyone has learned anything on these since the 2017 and 2018 posts?

I see that Wayne has one on a Carbine.  If these M2 stocks are really late WWII war-time production, I would think they would be a bit more desirable than a post-war made M2 stock from the 50s, 60s, etc.

If they are war-time production, that would make sense that some have been seen with cartouches on them.

It is a beautifully made stock.

Think I should put it on a shooter or put it aside?

Thanks
Chad
USN Retired
Quietus View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Quietus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2021 at 10:52pm
I have a Circle K M2 stock that went to Italy.  It came back here with an Italian FAG + star+ two digit date stamping.  Currently it's hosting a maybe three-war Underwood that came back from Korea.  
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2021 at 8:13am
IMHO you have nothing to lose by using it. I can't see where they will get super valuable or anything. You're right they are well made, nice looking stocks. Mine is still in use and no worse for the wear. It's unlikely it would be damaged in normal use. Make sure there's relief behind the recoil plate tang.

I haven't seen any recent new information on them surface.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2021 at 8:57am
Joel,

You said “relief behind the recoil plate tang”…..what does that mean?  Good info…school me on that, please. 
Chad
USN Retired
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2021 at 10:33am
Chad, very small amount of clearance between the recoil plate and the inlet on the stock. If it's tight, they have a tendency to crack or chip out. I've learned it the hard way. Here is a picture of the SA stock on my shooter Winchester. You would not have to relieve it as much as shown in my close up picture. Just so there's not tight contact with the wood. I use a small piece of 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around the appropriate sized dowel. It doesn't take much! I only do this for shooters... collector stocks I don't shoot and leave be. No effect on accuracy, this is in fact one of the best shooting carbines that I own.

On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSNPingjockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2021 at 11:23am
Thanks Joel…good to know. Seen many stocks with small cracks like you are talking about, but just figured it was because the plate had been over tightened.

Dan said that he is working on some information on the K marked stocks and an article will be forthcoming in the future. Will be eager to see what he has uncovered.

I was just thinking that the K marked M2 stocks with the various “O”, or “0” along with the various other numbers may be the original late WWII made M2 stocks for Inland and Winchester and; therefore, a bit more coveted.  Like purely speculating that Keystone was a subcontractor for Overton, thus the K mark and the “O” mark, IF it is an “O”.  It may very well be a zero.

I’m sure Dan will shed some more light on it.
Chad
USN Retired
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 03 2021 at 8:52am
Just FYI there's been a circle K on fleabay, item 203681545389. Shows some use, but in case anyone is interested or to check out markings (it has an 'O'). I took a screenshot of the sling well to post later if it's of interest.
 Post Reply Post Reply