Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Interesting Tag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interesting Tag
    Posted: Apr 21 2017 at 8:37pm
Found on an IBM Carbine.

Edited by moneawon - Sep 17 2022 at 3:30pm
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2017 at 9:30pm
Interesting indeed, Looks like it spent some time in EU.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 21 2017 at 10:03pm
Mr. Mackovich served in the Navy aboard the USS Moffett during WW2. His brother also served in the Army. I find it interesting how the name was corrected with the addition of the C.

This and another rifle was owned by the late Joel Babcock, a collector with a keen eye. If another member knew him, please contact me. Thanks.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 23 2017 at 11:17am
More to come (including pictures) about Mr. Babcock and his M1 Carbine rifle(s). It appears one of Mr. Babcock' rifles is already in the clubs' records.

Would like to take this opportunity to thank other club members for helping me with my research. Filling in the holes like idetifiying legit flip sights, providing veteran information and other important documentation is crucial to preserving the history of a carbine and previous owners.

People like us allow history to live on.
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2017 at 8:52am
Looks to me like information taken from his Dog Tags, Name, Ser. Number, Training 09/43 Hepatitis B shot, US Navy Reserve, that's what it looks like to me.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by RClark9595 RClark9595 wrote:

Looks to me like information taken from his Dog Tags, Name, Ser. Number, Training 09/43 Hepatitis B shot, US Navy Reserve, that's what it looks like to me.

Actually I believe that to be one of his real dog tags, the #'s under his last name are his service #,
The T is for his Tetanus vaccine which was given on 9/43, the B is his blood type, and the bottom C is for Catholic.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
Uncle Mike View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Uncle Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2017 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

Originally posted by RClark9595 RClark9595 wrote:

Actually I believe that to be one of his real dog tags, the #'s under his last name are his service #,
The T is for his Tetanus vaccine which was given on 9/43, the B is his blood type, and the bottom C is for Catholic.

Hi, I "googled around" and found out that the WW II Navy dog tags were oval not square. I believe you are correct in your assumption. Here's the link, regards, Mike

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 05 2017 at 5:34pm
Correct, great sleuthing skills. Mr. Mackovich served in the Navy during WW2. His brother also served in the Army.
 Post Reply Post Reply