The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

New member from Portland, OR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilhigbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New member from Portland, OR
    Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 12:54pm
I have a couple of "normal" M1 carbines and just bought a Universal 256 Ferret. The s/n on the Ferret is 32294, 67 numbers smaller than the earliest one listed on the website.  Hoping to learn more about it.  Looking forward to everyone's input.  I will get some pictures posted when I get a chance.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 1:44pm
Welcome!   

Pictures are always appreciated. I'd like to see the markings on the Universal.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 2:04pm
Welcome!

Would also like to see pics of the ferret. Other than the site that covers them, have never seen another.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_universal256.html
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 2:24pm
Welcome Neighbor

Nice to see someone else from Oregon here.

Gene
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 3:40pm
Welcome!  Lots of great folks here with the knowledge and willingness to help out.   Like the others have said, they do like pictures.  In case you need it, here's a couple links to the "how to" tutorial.  

Regards
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 16 2017 at 5:47pm
Ditto....welcome! I stay interested in the variants, but so far have only been able to snare an IJ 9MM. If a .256, .22 Spitfire (5.7 Johnson) or a 44-mag. Vulcan were so show-up...I'd surely consider them at a decent price. Since when were they a decent price?

I discovered a new one not long ago. I ran-across a barrel for a 9MM Winchester magnum. I had no idea that such a cartridge ever existed and there was an M1 Carbine barrel chambered in 9MM Magnum for sale.
Lilhigbee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilhigbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2017 at 12:23pm
Thanks all for the warm welcome!!  Here are some pics of the markings.

David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 17 2017 at 7:38pm
Very cool. Could you take a photo of the Universal markings?

Thanks!

David
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Lilhigbee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilhigbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2017 at 1:31am
Here is a photo of the Universal mark and some of the whole gun and one of the trigger housing.  I'm curious about the trigger housing as the website here indicates that Universal housings were painted, but this one seems anodized.  It is early enough in production to be a GI leftover, but I don't see any ID markings on it.  The flash washed out the color quite a bit.  The bottom of the trigger guard is definitely fading, but the rest is still dark gray.  Thoughts??

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2017 at 6:32am
Appears to be a commercial housing, but a GI will interchange. Universal is the only one that I know of that added the safety indicator (red dot).
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 7:50am
Nice setup! How does it perform/shoot?
Lilhigbee View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilhigbee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 12:08pm
I haven't had it out yet.  The weather hasn't been conducive to outside activities for a while.  I don't hold too much hope for it as I have four other guns chambered in .256 Win. Mag. and none of them shoot very well with the 60 grain bullets.  I was hoping the magazine and action were long enough to chamber 75 grain bullets as they work FAR better than the 60's.  Unfortunately such is not the case.
The gun is primarily a collector piece for me.  I originally acquired a Ruger Hawkeye pistol and after doing some research on the .256 caliber thought it would be interesting to get each of the four guns that were chambered in it.  I have two Contender barrels and now the Ferret.  Along the way I came across a Falling Block Works rifle chambered in .256 also.  Now hoping to find a Marlin Model 62 to round out the set.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2017 at 7:17pm
All of these rifles are new to me, but have been reading about them on the website. I've probably passed over them at shows and auctions not realizing what they were. Thanks for sharing. Hope you are able to get to the range soon and shoot soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply