Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Unusual Part Marking S'G' Bolt

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unusual Part Marking S'G' Bolt
    Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 1:39pm
I have the S'G' type II bolt shown in the link below. There is a very deep stamping (pre-heat treating?) on the top of the right lug. I have not found anything yet that might describe what this means. Offering here for thoughts and discussion.
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 3:32pm
Not sure but it kinda looks like a flaming bomb that was stamped to hard.

Chris
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 3:56pm
I agree with Chris, it appears to be a flaming bomb or part of it anyway.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 3:59pm
In support of Car Wash Chris, Riesch comments that some mfg early bolts may have the ordnance flaming bomb on the right lug. 
eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 4:36pm
Could be. I had not thought of that.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 5:55pm
CCNL 374 - Some bolts were reported with an ordnance bomb or the number 2 on the bottom, or top of the right lug.
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 6:01pm
Here is a pic S'G' bolt in my rifle. 

eestes View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eestes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 15 2017 at 6:48pm
Thanks for the example of yours. I have a hard time seeing a similar stamp could have ben responsible for mine. Maybe if it was struck  way too hard with the left edge of the stamp gouging it? Never say never I suppose.
 Post Reply Post Reply