Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Newsworthy Items
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Items Of Interest Rock-Ola juke boxes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
newsmen
newsmen

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Newsman2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Items Of Interest Rock-Ola juke boxes
    Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 12:08am
March 2017-F
Items of Interest from RMC

Seems Marty Black has been on the road and found some items of interest. First we have Rock-ola Jukebox found in a McDonalds in Paso Robles, CA.

Here is another really neat item,  A prewar Jukebox, note the prewar patents on the back.  This is from one of the 12 camps that General Patton established in the California/Arizona/Utah desert, from April 42 - April 44.  There is a museum dedicated to the Desert Training Center just east of Palm Springs, CA on I-10.  Thanks to Marty Black for providing the pictures.

The Rock-Ola Scale Company was founded in 1927 by David Cullen Rockola to manufacture coin-operated entertainment machines. During the 1920s, Rockola was linked with Chicago organized crime and escaped a jail sentence by turning State's Evidence. Mr. Rockola added the hyphen because people often mispronounced his name. The name was changed to Rock-Ola Manufacturing Corporation in 1932. The company successfully expanded its production line through the Great Depression to include furniture. Starting in 1935, Rock-Ola sold more than 400,000 jukeboxes under the Rock-Ola brand name, which predated the rock and roll era by two decades, and is thought to have inspired the term.

Canfield, Bruce N. (2008). "Making A Different Kind Of Music: The Rock-Ola M1 Carbine".

Note from Louis Dey: 5 points to the first person that posts the model and year of the first Jukebox pictured at top of article with a link to where to confirm this information.  As mentioned above Rock-Ola made coin operated machines. Some of the first items made by Rock-Ola were penny scales
"Lowboy scale" seen here was popular in drug stores, soda shoppes and even seen on boardwalks.

Here is some type of coin operated card game which was probably popular in restaurants or bars

Rock-Ola was know for its fine woodworking as seen here. Rock-Ola was approached to make carbine stocks for this very reason.

A 1937 World series game

A period Bar Cabinet, all the rage of the time!

And a wooden Jukebox

This demonstrates just how easy researching is. So let's try this for fun, test your Google Foo and post what Rock-Ola Items you find below. Points will be awarded for interesting items and bonus for a nice description of the item.

Copyright: The Carbine Collector’s Club©

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/
GotSnlB28 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GotSnlB28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 11:19am
Might be a trick question, but the first jukebox on the page sure looks like a new production Bubbler V (http://www.rock-ola.com/Pages/CDBubbler.aspx). This site lists many of the older models, but nothing quite matches up: https://www.jukebox-world.de/Forum/Archiv/Rock-Ola/Rock-Ola-Bilder-Uebersicht.htm
DaveDej View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2017 at 8:45pm
The Jukebox is a Wurlitzer model 1015 manufactured in 1946 and 1947.
I own the one pictured below and am in the process of restoring, although
it was in beautiful original condition when I got it from the original owner.
During the war Wurlitzer like so many manufacturing companies contributed to
the war effort, and the steel and plastic used in jukebox manufacture were
diverted to use in war related products. After the war the 1015 jukebox,
nicknamed the "bubbler" was produced and became a huge hit.
ref: www.vintagevending.com   [click"jukeboxes"]

The jukebox pictured above is a copy maunufactured by Rockola, and plays CDs.

Dave
DD
RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 30 2017 at 11:01am
Found this one in a local dinner in West Valley City, Utah, looks new. This one has bubbles flowing through the thin center plastic molding framing the machine.

Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2018 at 10:11pm
1935 Rockola "Sweepstakes" horse racing machine.
Michael
Retired Army 1987-2008
4th ID Mech, 11th ACR, 25th ID light, 82nd Abn, 101st Abn/AAsslt, 160th SOAR
Helicopter Dr.
VCDL member
NRA Life Member
Weapons & History Enthusiast

Ghostman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ghostman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2018 at 10:16pm
Interesting website containing Rockola history and some period pics of the factory before and during WW2.

Michael
Retired Army 1987-2008
4th ID Mech, 11th ACR, 25th ID light, 82nd Abn, 101st Abn/AAsslt, 160th SOAR
Helicopter Dr.
VCDL member
NRA Life Member
Weapons & History Enthusiast

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 12 2018 at 7:05pm
Here is a 1958, Model 1458 with 120 hi-fidelity selections for your listening enjoyment.  It's in my barber's shop.

GoldenGuy View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GoldenGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 08 2018 at 2:34pm
I found some post war advertisements for Rockola and figured this would be a good place.
Seems they continued with jukeboxes but they also made vending machines

How about some Rockola coffee?

And they also made soda machines

I thought the soda machines in advertisement  looked familiar, Remember these?

Looks like they also made them for Pepsi

Hope you enjoy
       -Guy

Vukan68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Vukan68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2023 at 11:59am
hi I have 3402 for German market in full work condition!
Vukan68 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vukan68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2023 at 12:10pm
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2023 at 7:53pm
Looks like I'm going to have to find the time to post the picture of our local Rock-Ola!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 29 2023 at 11:58am
Very interesting.  Having a ROCK-OLA Bubbler parked in my great room has always been on my bucket list.  Brand new down to the screws copies are available in vinyl 45rpm or CD for $10K.   I'll wait, though.  Last night I mentioned purchasing another bucket list item, namely a WWII vintage Thompson SMG and surprisingly wife offered little resistance! After the election when economy begins to boil I'll probably pull the trigger on that one.  An investment no less than a carbine and a barrel of fun for my huntin/fishin' buddies.
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
 Post Reply Post Reply