The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Picture Editing on PC with Paint

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Picture Editing on PC with Paint
    Posted: Mar 10 2017 at 5:39pm

Resizing pictures may seem daunting or overwhelming at first, however all it takes is a little practice.
All Microsoft PC platform computers should come with a program called Paint. To some it is not readily evident as to where to find it.
Click the start/programs button which is on lower left. It is the Microsoft symbol.
A pop up box will appear.  Click "All Programs" if not already displayed. Then click Accessories and Paint should be there a few buttons down.

For those who have Windows 7 or newer you can type paint into the "Search Programs and Files" and the link will pop up.

If you feel you will be using the program you can left click and drag the Paint Icon to your desktop or to the bottom tool bar. Do not worry as the original should stay where it is and a new link will be created where you drag it. The new link can be deleted at any time by dragging to recycle bin or right click/delete

Once you have the Paint program opened we will take a look at the tabs and toolbars.

this shows the three tabs to get to certain tools or features.
Click on the first tab (Blue) and then click "Open" which looks like a folder that is opened. From there you navigate to where the picture is you wish to edit.

Alternatively you can go to the picture you wish to edit and then right click/ open with/ Paint and The program will open with the photo displayed.

The first problem usually is the fact that the picture is way to large.  For demonstration this is what my sample photo looked like. and scrolling makes it still difficult to work with.

If that is the case you click on the "View " tab and then you can click "Zoom Out" to make it manageable

Now you can see the whole picture to work with. The first thing that I do is to look at the picture and see what can be removed, or non essential to what you are trying to display.
The reason for this is to save space which also lets us display more of the subject.

For this you need to click on the middle tab marked "Home". We will be using the crop function (highlighted yellow) to grab just what we need. In this case We are interested in the Proof P mark.

To do this Click the top of "Select" Button. looks like dotted box you can then start at one corner of what you want and click and drag the dotted lines to enclose just what you want. You then click the crop button, which is shown with the red arrow

The bottom of the Select button has other options, take a look to get familiar if you like.

If you are not happy with this you can always back out of what you did by clicking the left blue arrow all the way at top left of program. It is small so easily overlooked. the other arrow will re-do what you just undone if need be.

From here you can also play with the rotation of the picture by clicking the "Rotate' button shown in blue.

Now lets look at the picture to see how big it is. Click on the 'View" tab and click "100%" Then click on the "Home" tab and then "Resize" shown with green arrow in picture above. A pop-up box will open and look like this.
Paint4.jpg

First thing to do is verify "Maintain Aspect Ratio" has a check mark next to it. If not click the box. Now click  "Pixels"  From here we are only interested in the Horizontal number as this is what the forum limits to a greater extent.
If the number is greater then 720  you need to change that number. You can make it smaller. 720 is deemed the optimal size for posting. For articles this is the largest picture usually posted, with 240 for smaller pictures and 360 or 480 for medium sized pictures. Understand that the number does not have to be any specific size, this is just what we use when formatting articles.
here is the finished product

If the number is smaller you  can make it larger, however the result may be blurry. This is because the information is not within the picture.
 This is why we crop first. By cropping first we maintain as much picture information as possible, then reducing in size will remove some of that information.

If everything looks good you can now save a copy. Click on the "Blue" file tab on left.

Then I would suggest "Save as" then .JPG and navigate to where you want to save it. I change the name of the file as it does not alter the original.

You can also just click "Save" or the little button in upper left next to the "Back" arrow. This however will overwrite the original file.

Any questions or suggestions please let me know in a post below.

If this is beyond your capability please PM me or send the pictures to my email so I can resize and install in your folder. Please include your user name.

Edited by New2brass - Sep 23 2018 at 8:16pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2017 at 6:12pm
We are working on Posting Pictures from a Mac/Apple tutorial.
If anyone is proficient with those product I encourage you to write a tutorial as it is not familiar to me.

Sawbones View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sawbones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 3:20pm
I have an amusing "Sunday Funnies" photos I'd like to post.  However, being computer illiterate I have no idea how.  Attempts to follow your tutorial have been futile.  In your tutorial you offered to place photos in one's "file manager" (whatever the hell that is).  Then what would I do w/ it?
Please advise.

Sawbones
"I think youngsters need to start thinking about what kind of world they will leave for me and Keith Richards". Willie Nelson
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2022 at 4:07pm
Sawbones, after you have resized your picture with paint, save it somewhere on your computer.  On the thread where you want to post the picture, click "post reply" then click the "tree" located center top of the window. this will bring you to a new window, click "choose file" which will prompt you to locate the picture on wherever you saved it on your computer, once found click "open". After that click "upload" you should now see the picture on the right side of the window, click "OK" and you are done.
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
 Post Reply Post Reply

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image