Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Question regarding NPM stock

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hardspunned Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question regarding NPM stock
    Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 4:37pm
My first M1 carbine is a Bavarian Rural Police/Austrian LGKT NPM.  I'm blown away by the quantity and quality of information regarding the history of these rifles on this site.  However, I am still confused about the possibility of my stock being original to the rifle.  The stock is a type 2 only marked in the slingwell with a Trimble TN manufacturer's mark.  There is no NPM cartouche or proof mark.  Is this a dead giveaway of a replacement stock?
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 6:00pm
If it hasn't been sanded and the cartouche removed then it is probably a replacement stock. All manufacturers were required to provide replacement parts including stocks as part of their contract.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2017 at 6:10am
I'm just starting to delve into the CCNLs and after a quick perusing of an index didn't come up with anything.  I can offer that in Riesch's book he mentions Type II stocks on the NPMs were used around the S/N 1,490,000.   Type I was around 1,450,000.   Is there anything stamped on the handguard?  Also, try looking close for a remnant, or as I've been told a ghost, of the cartouche on the stock.  

Good luck.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 02 2017 at 8:56pm
CCNL 366 and 367 should be added to your index! if you go to the sticky for newsletters they are posted with manufacture updates and newsletters that are good reading for a particular manufacturer
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2017 at 5:36am
I had the Index of Back Issues but not the other two references which I forgot about.  I have them all together now.  Considering the overwhelming amount of information in the NLs, basically an encyclopedia of M1 Carbines, there is no way I can remember where I might have read about any subject.  Without these references it's definitely a case of being "a lost ball in high weeds." 

Thanks again for the help.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 03 2017 at 7:19am
Don't worry sling, I have had them for years and still can't remember where stuff is. Manufacturer reviews are easier to remember but 4 books strewn across the floor is a common occurance. Lol.
 Post Reply Post Reply