The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

30 Carbine Ammunition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 3:57am
Nice that you can reload with lead bullets. I always thought that copper plated was not allowed and you need real full metal jacketed bullets for a carbine.
Various Inlands, Underwoods, I.B.M.s and an NPM
NVBIW, NVWHT, NVBMB, KNSA member
Conservator Military Historical Museum Achtmaal U.S. 104th I.D. Timberwolves
www.militairhistorischmuseumachtmaal.nl
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 6:21am
If you Google "lead bullet limitations", "max velocity for cast bullets", etc. you'll find several sites discussing their use.   There are several factors for use of cast bullets such as the alloy (composition of lead, tin, antimony, etc), velocity, bullet sizing and lube, and then throw in the rifling twist of the gun you're shooting them in.  I knew a guy years ago who gave up mixing a "recipe" for his alloy and just used wheel weights which I used quite a few as well.  Neat thing is when they melt in your pot all the steel clips are floating around.   Cast bullets can be purchased from several manufacturers and are cheaper than a jacketed bullet.  I haven't made my own in a long time since it's a lot easier to buy them.  That's all I use in my "plinking" handgun rounds.  If you start doing a lot of shooting you might want to look into it.  
patrickduis View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 6:28am
Yes, I also use lead .38wc for my .357/.38 special loads. A lot cheaper dan FMJ.
But there was a limitation to about max. 800fps with lead bullets, or not?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 8:15am
It doesn't make economical sense to reload for the carbine, unless you plan to load-n-shoot several thousand rounds. Commercial can be had down at the $18 range, which is below 40-cents a round. By the time you purchase brass, the projectile, powder, primers, dies, case trimmer...etc., you surpass that cost/round. Sure, you can reload the brass, but it has to be purchased as commercial ammo and shot first, or be purchased at about 20-cents a pop. I ran the numbers from a start-up point of view and I think it breaks-even and starts to be more economical after around 3,000 rounds depending on how you depreciate the loading equipment.

BUT...who's concerned about $$$..it's fun.Big smile
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 8:20am
So true.........it's about the fun.
But in Holland it makes sense to reload because factory ammo is a lot more expensive than USD18 per box.......it goes for around 26 euro's per box now, the PRVI.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2017 at 8:50am
Just to go by comparison, the 800 fps for a 38 sounds about right for a nominal velocity since Remington's 158 gr SWC target loads are in the 700s but their 357s are pushing 1200.   From what I've always been told and read it all comes down to [1] stay within the safe load ranges for the bullet types provided by the powder mfg.   [2] Make sure you do not violate #1!  Then comes [3] don't lead the barrel and [4] accuracy, with bullet hardness being the main issue on these.  Here's kind of an interesting mfg discussion I came across doing a quick Google search.   http://missouribullet.com/technical.php  

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 8:22pm
I just finished loading my first 200 rounds for my M1. Started with 200 pieces of new Great Lakes Brass, 200 Speer 110 grain FMJ bullets. Cases were full length sized, trimmed to 1.2855"-1.286", deburred, primed and charged with 14 grains of H110. I measured every damned charge as my 47 year old Lyman #55 would get close but never dead on with that fine powder. Loaded the bullets to COAL of 1.667"-1.668". I measured several of my Armscor 110 Gr. FMJs and there were measuring out to 1.663"-1.665", so I figured I'll load just a bit closer to the 1.675" max. Now it's time to see how my handy work fares...
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 8:23pm
Does anybody know if the old Lake City brass can still be acquired? This new stuff is salty!!!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 02 2017 at 8:52pm
I see them at shows occasionally. A couple of recent auctions had a whole bunch of them.  Don't remember what they went for though.  IIRC, there were also lots of stripper clips, bandolier's and parts.

Try ammogarand.com, joesalter.com or CMP?  Best prices I've seen was $22 a box but that was a couple of years ago.
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 6:10am
FWIW m1a1fan suggestion on the CMP forum might workout.  Posting a WTB for brass or LC ammo.  I occasionally see someone letting go of a spam can or boxes out of one of the 50 cal ammo cans with 1350 rounds the CMP was selling a couple years back. 
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 6:34am
Originally posted by ewallover ewallover wrote:

charged with 14 grains of H110.   Loaded the bullets to COAL of 1.667"-1.668". I measured several of my Armscor 110 Gr. FMJs and there were measuring out to 1.663"-1.665", so I figured I'll load just a bit closer to the 1.675" max. Now it's time to see how my handy work fares...

I load an Armscor 110-grain FMJ with 13.5 grains H110 to an OAL of 1.66. Produces a average MV of 1850. 14-grains at a 1.66-1.68 OAL nets 1910 on average from my chronograph. Both loads print in the same place on a target.
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickduis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 03 2017 at 6:40am
That's a short OAL, I load with Slovenian LOS 110grs FMJ,  13.0-13.5grs v-N110 with a OAL of 42.5mm (according to the Vihtavuori reloading manual).
sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 05 2017 at 9:43pm
FYI...On CMP forum, Hunterman has  WTS .30 carbine brass.

sling00 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sling00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 12:21pm
Don't know if anyone is looking or if it's a good deal, but I just saw this on CMP forum:
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 5:24am
Not quick enough...sold. Thanks for the tip!
Impala12 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Impala12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 12:39pm
I have been reloading for the .30 Carbine since I bought my first GI Carbine in the late 70's. I was already loading for .38 Special , .44 Mag and .45 ACP at the time. So it was only a matter of adding an extra set of dies. I started off with  few hundred pieces of GI brass and later fired off a few boxes of CDM Factory ammo and ended up with a good quantity of brass. I like using Win 296 with Hornaday's  110 FMJ and CCI military type primers . Over the years I have fired lots of PMC, WW, Remingtion, and PPU factory ammo. So when I can find components at a good price I stock up and reload for awhile. I trim the cases after each firing and keep a close eye on case length to avoid out of battery firing. It is fun to load for this caliber. Lately I have been able to pick up PPU 110 FMJ at a reasonable price. This stuff works great so I am shooting it for now and will start reloading again later. I am interested in in giving Armscorp a try if I can find some at the right price.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12