Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

M1A1 Stock Cracks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2017 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by BEBIII BEBIII wrote:

From the inside, the crack on the left side is visible, but I can't see much on the right side. I also wondered if it might have previously been repaired. There is some residue that might be glue...hard to say. No rough edges anywhere. 

Three more questions...

Do you see the residue that you mentioned anywhere else on the inside, or outside of the stock, away from the cracked areas?

Is the residue only visible on the left hand side? You mentioned that you can't see much on the right hand side...Is there any residue at all visible on the right hand side?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2017 at 3:48pm
Thank you all for your thoughtful replies. I did reach out and make contact with Frank Derrico yesterday...I e-mailed him pictures and spoke with him on the phone. Very nice guy! He detailed how he'd recommend going about fixing it. Four brass threaded pins, two on each side...one from the top and one from the bottom, gluing the cracks and the pins, and then filing off the tops of the pins. This is exactly how it would have been repaired at an arsenal, but I believe Frank will take more care and do a neater job. I boxed up the stock and sent it off to him this morning...should have it back in three weeks or so. I'll post pictures of the fix when I get it back.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2017 at 4:00pm
David...to answer your three questions...There is no evidence of glue anywhere else...inside or outside the stock. There was something that "might" have been glue residue on the inside left. I couldn't say for sure. The crack on the right side was not visible from the inside and there was no evidence of glue that I could see. I will be interesting to see what Frank reports. 
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2017 at 5:00pm
Frank does excellent work and is very personable. His short turnaround on getting my items back to me is only one of the reasons I use him for my stock work.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 24 2017 at 6:03pm
Glad it is getting fixed.  Looking forward to seeing the repair.  Thanks for sharing it with us.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 25 2017 at 5:00pm
Sounds like you made a good decision. I'll be interested to hear any feedback you receive from Frank after the repair is performed.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2017 at 3:30pm
I noticed a similar crack on my M1A1.  Rather than risk it I bought a repro stock.  Had to do some fitting work on the nose plus was too shiny/new so steel wool then walnut transtint dye.  Came out fairly decent and no worries about damaging the original.  Interested to see how the op work comes out though.

ps. Considering the rarity of these and that repairs affect collectibility and value, is it usually advisable to repair an original?

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2017 at 4:03pm
Depends on the collector I suppose. Cracks are part of the condition evaluation, location, number, type, etc.... Type of repair is probably part of that evaluation. In the OP's case the crack needs to be professionally repaired so it can be shot again. JMO but I would prefer an arsenal/profession arsenal like repair or leave it alone. Have seen some pretty bad bubba fixes but again, I lack wood working skills.

I think I've read a post from Frank that a crack will spread on it's own if not stopped.

Repairing an original is a tough choice. As mentioned above, if their is a chance the crack will spread, want to make sure it will not spread any further. Doing things like folding the stock or putting pressure on it is probably not a good idea, i.e. Safe queen. If a crack was repaired in a "professional" way (and stopped from potentially spreading) that would be a good thing. If you are able to repair the crack yourself, keep an eye on it and make sure it's not spreading.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2017 at 4:55pm
Just an update...It's been three weeks since I sent my stock off to Frank for repairs. The job has been completed, and the repaired stock is now on it's way back to Massachusetts...should have it by the weekend or early next week. The fix was done a week back, but I was traveling and asked Frank to hold off shipping until I returned. He e-mail pictures of the repair process, and I'm very confident I'll be happy with the results. I'll post pictures when I get it back. 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 16 2017 at 8:33pm
Great news, can't wait to see the repairs.
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 4:02pm
My stock arrived in the mail this afternoon, and I'm very happy. Frank drilled four holes and inserted threaded pins with glue...two on each side, and then filed off the tops. Looking down on the stock, two pins are visible on the left side and one on the right...the one on the right will be hidden when the receiver is put back. On the bottom, only one pin shows on the right side. This is the correct way the military would have repaired the stock. Everything feels really tight and solid and it's ready to take to the range. I can't thank Frank enough...he's a craftsman and a good guy to deal with. I wouldn't hesitate to use him again and recommend him to anyone who need stock repair.

BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 4:11pm
Forgot to thank you guys for the discussion and advise...and for recommending Frank. Everything worked out beyond my expectations. I shoot all my antique military stuff regularly and didn't want to leave this one out. 
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 4:55pm
Great looking repair! Even though it has been repaired, probably worth keeping an eye on the wood after shooting. Back of the stock is also susceptible to cracking. Bottom of the pistol too. Sometimes the beginning of cracks are inside and then spread to outside. Thanks for sharing the repair with us.
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 17 2017 at 6:09pm
Very nice outcome!  
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 6:25am
To any worrdwookers out there. What determines where the brass dowels are placed in.a crack like the one shown?
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 10:33am
Did Frank indicate whether the cracks had been previously glued?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
BEBIII View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BEBIII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2017 at 11:52am
He did say that there was some evidence that someone had attempted to glue the cracks at some point.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12