Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Inland arsenal rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejdav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Inland arsenal rebuild
    Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 2:50pm
I recently acquired a 1942 Inland  [sn 825789] that is a 2x Augusta arsenal rebuild with all Inland updated parts.  The inland barrel  date is 2/44 and the stock is an I cut high wood. Very nice looking carbine that shoots well also. What are the chances the stock is original to the rifle?
I assume the barrel is a replacement but maybe not?
Comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 3:13pm
Dave, sorry to say that it is highly unlikely. Look at the following
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/postwar.html

Are the rest of the parts correct with consistent finish?
dejdav View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejdav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 3:44pm
Thanks for the reply: I see from the overhaul flowchart that all parts including the stock were removed to common parts bins and not kept with the rifle they were a part of. Since all the original parts as well as updated parts are Inland it seems more likely that someone other than the arsenal replaced any non-Inland parts later to make it more "correct". The trigger housing for example  has a lighter parkerized finish than the rest of the carbine.

cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 18 2017 at 3:51pm
your serial (825789) is not'42 but fall of '43. With your October-Nov ish '43 receiver it would be hard to put a 2/44 barrel on it, I would think it is indeed a replacement.
dynahd05 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dynahd05 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2017 at 10:20pm
Just want to let everyone know, there are a good number of carbine parts showing up on ebay, Gun Owners, and other sites, that the finish is obviously a crude, garage Parkerizing job.  Also, some of the stamping, ie. manufacturing ID's, look too crisp.  I think there are some really good fakes showing up.  We all know there are a lot of good machinist's out there.
M1Dude View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 23 2017 at 1:42pm
I would put the date of your serial # of your Carbine at about 8-43
dejdav View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejdav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 2:53pm
Thank you to all who replied. I was trying to ascertain if the Inland  OI type I stock would be typically installed on an Inland with that serial # range. In further researching, I see that Inland did use the Type I stock up until about the 400,000 range.
The stock did go through an arsenal rebuild and shows some sanding marks, but is in beautiful condition with only barely noticable nicks or dents. Nice dark red/brown patina. The crossed cannon cartouche [partially legible] is in the  sling well.

Dave
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2017 at 6:01pm
CCNL 346. Inland high wood I cut stocks were reported before 300xxx. Inland oval cut stocks were reported after 229xxx. At some point in that S/N range, Inland appears to have transitioned from I cut HW to oval cut HW.

Your S/N is way past the reported S/N range for I cut HW Inland stocks. Could have been replaced at Augusta though I would think it would have been cut down to LW.

Cross cannon cartouches in the sling well were reported on very early Inland carbines. Are there any other marks in the sling well?

Picture would help, of course but it sounds like the arsenal got ahold of it and changed parts.
DaveDej View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveDej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2017 at 4:55pm
OK - figured out how to post pics:
I bought this Inland because I wanted a good shooter as well as a good looking and reliable gun. I don't mind that most of the parts are refinished or updated [all Inland]. Just tends to make it more reliable. I was especially attracted to the stock even though arsenal refinished. Any collector value to the stock? If so I may replace it with a Fulton Armory stock for my use and offer the I-cut for sale here.  Another question regarding the fit of the stock at the trigger housing: The housing is a bit proud of the stock - is this normal for an early I-cut, or has the stock lost some material due to sanding?

Dave

DD
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2017 at 7:34pm
Pluses
I cut stock appears to still be high wood
See a hint of the circle P on the wrist

Minuses
Stock has an arsneal P forward of the wrist
Stock nose probably has marks from the bayonet lug. Originally, that stock would only have type 1 band marks.
Do not see a cartouche. Very early stocks had a small cartouche in the sling well, later ones on the opposite side.
dejdav View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dejdav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2017 at 8:45pm
The cartouche is very faint - located in the sling well just above the "I"  on the IO. You can just make out the outline in the closeup photo of the well.
AAK and AAE stamped on the left side of the stock in front of the grip - pic does not show it very well.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2017 at 10:15pm
Yup, I see the cartouche in the sling well now. Looks to be the right size as well. Having visited the arsenal twice probably not worth much more other than it would have originally been on an early Inland. In spite of that, if I were going to shoot it I would buy a cheap stock. While it may not be in original condition it is still a nice stock. Have seen stocks like yours restored usually involving sandpaper and other nefarious methods to make it look like it once did so it may have value to those looking to restore.

Thanks for sharing.
 Post Reply Post Reply