The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

National Postal Meter and Underwood parts?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: National Postal Meter and Underwood parts?
    Posted: Dec 31 2016 at 6:08pm
NPM Carbines have documented use of Underwood parts from time to time. Is there any evidence that NPM might have ever used Underwood recoil plates? More precisely, during their second production block in the fall of 1943?

Just curious as I could effect the original completeness my M1. The stock is NPM, why would an Armor change a recoil plate? There is no visible evidence of any unusual wear at the inside of the stock at the recoil plate.
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2017 at 7:56pm
Yes, according to CIIC documents found by Larry Ruth at the National Archives, UEF sent NPM 7000 early recoil plates in approx 9/43, 10,000 more in approx 10/43, and 5000 late recoil plates in approx 10/43. If a carbine appears factory-original, except for one or two parts, the wise collector will ignore the strong temptation to change parts! Resist!

Regards, Marty Black
Marty Black
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2017 at 8:47pm
Thanks, I have reached that conclusion. This rifle will not be altered in any fashion except to maybe add an original sling rather than a reproduction if I can secure one at a reasonable cost. I know this may ruffle some feathers, but I intend to shoot this rifle occasionally and teach my Grandson how to shoot with this piece. I need to instill a love of Country and its history. This might just be the right tool to do just that!

Thanks for your rundown on the history!

Ted
Marty Black View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Editor in Chief Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marty Black Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2017 at 8:52pm
Yeah, shoot that carbine! As long as you take proper care of it, you won't decrease the value of it, and you certainly won't wear it out!...and it sounds like it will be passed down in the family anyhow....so, no reason to keep it unfired for an unknown future owner!

BTW, I just posted a little discussion about "incorrect" parts, that was inspired by your post, and several other collectors who have emailed me over the last few months. Have a look.

Thanks, Marty Black
Marty Black
 Post Reply Post Reply