Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Magazine Pouch

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote skypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Magazine Pouch
    Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 4:16pm
OK, couldn't find what I felt was the right place for this but I thought I'd at least throw it out here.  I was given a replica magazine butt pouch for my carbine.  My concern is the snap on the back, it looks like itwould scratch the stock all up, it is rough side in.  Is this correct?

Merry Christmas all!
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 4:51pm
The pouch slides over the sling and the snap will be on the bevel-cut side over the sling.  I find that a rather annoying arrangement myself and only designed for looking at. Some folks simply cover the snap with some cloth, leather,  or whatever, if they want to use the pouch without the sling.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 6:25pm
I cut my snap out, them sewed one of my old 101st Airborne patches over the hole.

Retired Army, 22 years.
RedSpecial View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSpecial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by wd4ngb wd4ngb wrote:

I cut my snap out, them sewed one of my old 101st Airborne patches over the hole.

I recognize that carbine, I see you posting frequently on the Facebook carbine group.
-Neil
skypilot View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skypilot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2016 at 6:45am
Nice, I like the patch idea, I served with the 505th in the 82nd, I ought to be able to make that work, thanks
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 26 2016 at 8:04am
I think the pouch has a more balanced look with the patch on it also, instead of the 2 pouches on one side, and bare on the other. I do have a standard one also.  

Retired Army, 22 years.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2017 at 11:35am
So, what about lefties? Are/were magazine pouches ever flipped around to accommodate a left handed shooter? And, I have the same concerns that "Floyd the cat" has regarding dinging up a stock's finish with the standard pouch, especially since it will ride where the cartouche is placed on my Carbine. Any thoughts? I really don't NEED a pouch, but it might be kind of cool to display the M1 with one in place. (It would end up being a replica, most likely.)
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2017 at 2:16pm
Pistol belts had a snap facing inward to attach the pouch. Somebody having more experience than me will have to expand on whether-or-not sticking the pouch over the butt of the carbine was a GI invention or not.
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2017 at 3:09pm
Yea, it was a GI thing. For Lefties, just flip the pouch around. To prevent it from scaring the stock, just put a piece of duct tape over the snap on the inside of the pouch, or remove it, and put a patch over the hole like I did. Not a big deal either way.

Retired Army, 22 years.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2017 at 3:26pm
In all of the pictures of GIs and their M1s, are there any images of a lefty reversing the magazine pouch
that you may be aware of, or where to look? This "hobby" sure opens up more questions at every turn.
 Post Reply Post Reply