The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another stock comment.........mostly chatter......

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heckinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another stock comment.........mostly chatter......
    Posted: Dec 22 2016 at 3:21pm
Cabin fever post.....????

About 3-4 yrs ago, I drove past the local flea mkt.  As always, I looked over what I could see from the highway......that amounts to nothing....and spotted a rear engine dragster chassis & body.  I swooped into the park lot & went to investigate.

He had a BBC tunnel ram & 2 750 Holleys, a blower & some other trinkets on his trailer under the dragster. Never liked dragsters......he had a rickety table with some really tacky common guns on it.  We got to chatting & he said I have a US Carbine in the truck..He came back w/a Win. 1109xxx......everything was righteous except it was in an early Inland high wood stock w/correct aged sling. He claimed to have bought all the guns he had at a auction in Portsmouth.   Cant remember what I gave for it, seems like it was $850.........I know it was less than $1000...........

I was able to get a correct Win. stock w/similar usage patterns, nice clear Win. marks & w/no rebuilders markings to replace it.  I now have the Inland stock/sling hanging above my workbench.........every time I notice it again, I get on the intnet & look for a 5-6 digit Inland to put in it...!!!!!   Found some suitables, but............

Only looking for original finish & parts w/bright bore.......maybe someday.......

PJH

There are no bad guns!!!
1st M1 88 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1st M1 88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2016 at 6:23pm
LOVE THE STORY.  TRADED TRADDED A HOLLY 750 FOR MY FIRST CARBINE 43 YEARS AGO. STILL HAVE IT AND GETS SHOT QUITE REGULARLY.  NOT TOTALLY ORIGINAL.  STOCK, HAND GUARD, AND HAMMER.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 22 2016 at 6:47pm
Hmm, got a Holly that was used two days then off and in the shed. Any takers?
heckinohio View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heckinohio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 23 2016 at 10:38am
We still have two 500" plus early Pontiac drag race cars.....one has a pr of 850 Holleys on.  They sit sideways & require an oddly shaped fuel float in the end where the fuel come in the back of the bowl.  Sudden starts (drag racing!!!) makes the fuel flow up the inside & shut the flow off......a real starting line stumble.  I put center hanging float bowls on the last set we used, worked much better.

Other engine uses early cyl heads & 750 AFBs on factory experimental intake.  

I must have a dozen 750/850 double pumpers & a couple 1100 Dominators.  Never to be used again, I am done drag racing after 53 yrs.

PJH

There are no bad guns!!!
wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2016 at 1:01pm
I have been a Gear Head since a pre teen. Spent 22 years in the Army, and got in trouble a couple of times for doing mods to engines. 

Here is my weekend play car. Stopped racing just last year at 73.  

http://brucerichards.com/bird%20menu.htm
Retired Army, 22 years.
 Post Reply Post Reply