Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Number of weld marks?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Number of weld marks?
    Posted: Dec 18 2016 at 10:14pm
Spotted a possible addition to my small (2) but growing collection.   Did Inland ever use type one bands with 2 weld marks during early production?  Can't find any documentation on who used what.

Thanks folks!
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2016 at 11:25am
According to the records I have, they used three welds from the start. Look carefully at the front sight to see if it has been taken off, it would have if the band had ever been replaced.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2016 at 11:55am
Just found a Rock-Ola and a Standard Products M1s with type 1 two weld barrel bands.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2016 at 1:22pm
Thank you sir.  I have the Ruth book War Baby and CCN 346 but there is no reference to the weld mark detail.   Can you recommend other publications that could cover detailed info not included in my reference material?

Having a blast looking over carbines and the more ref material I have the better I feel about pulling out cash or setting it back down on the table.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2016 at 5:49pm
I got this information from"M1 Carbine, 2nd Edition" by R. C. Larson. I also have a copy of "U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch 7th edition expanded. Haven't bought any of the War Baby, too expensive. If I run across anything more, I'll give you a shout.
Charles
29th. Divi.
Life member NRA

Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2016 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

I got this information from"M1 Carbine, 2nd Edition" by R. C. Larson. I also have a copy of "U.S. M1 Carbines, Wartime Production" by Craig Riesch 7th edition expanded. Haven't bought any of the War Baby, too expensive. If I run across anything more, I'll give you a shout.

While you are researching research material you may want to research Larson first.
There are threads on most carbine forums that might make you think twice about it.

Re barrel bands. In Newsworthy section read "expect the unexpected"
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
Sledge View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sledge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2016 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Lupus Dei Lupus Dei wrote:

Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

While you are researching research material you may want to research Larson first.
There are threads on most carbine forums that might make you think twice about it.

Re barrel bands. In Newsworthy section read "expect the unexpected"

Quite a discussion about the Larson book.  
Great info and personal experience in the recommended thread.  Thanks.  
http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-collectors-expect-the-unexpected_topic1382.html

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2016 at 10:46pm
Sometimes in carbine collecting one should look beyond how something is marked rather then how it was made.

I am no expert on bands but those examples in Larson do not look like the know genuine ones I have seen or handled.

Notice any thing from his pictures from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as number of weld marks?
 Post Reply Post Reply