Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My IBM

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My IBM
    Posted: Dec 15 2016 at 6:40pm
Smile   A few months ago I bought the IBM, ser# 3,888,281, family says it was a bring back, stored in basement for over 40 years, I have asked the family if they had any pics of "Grandpa" with the carbine also his position and rank, have not heard yet from them. Today I broke it down and made a list.
Stock group, IBM butt plate, recoil plate PR-B, oiler SI, stock cartouche-IBM or crossed cannon, is very lightly stuck, type 1 barrel band w/2 weld scars, swivel KV-B.
Reciever, square mill cut, Rear sight I.R. Co. 7160060 stake and chisel marks, Trigger group stamped BE-B, hammer in the white AM-B, mag catch EPB, sear BOB, trigger SK-B, safety EPB, Bolt AOB-H F, firing pin BE-B, extractor I B, slide inside well A only, bottom 15 or I 5.
Barrel, not blued or parkerized--in the white I guess, IBM Corp-no date w/the p, short barrel skirt.
      OK, I know you want pics but will have to wait until I get help, my camera is old, uses the floppy disk and I don't know how to down size. Rifle is really nice condition, good wood and shoots great.
   Any and all info would be great, I'm quite new with the Carbines but now think i'm hooked.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2016 at 7:01pm
Sounds about right, other than what you say about the rear sight having chisel marks and stake marks. IBM did use a few adjustable sights but very few. They also primarily used a rectangular stake mark on the adjustable sights they did use, although they could have used another style too that's not been documented. I wonder if the sight could have been changed out in the field before Grandpa came home. Anywho, can't wait for the pictures if you can figure it out.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 5:15pm
Pic's of our IBM.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 5:22pm
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 5:28pm
Tried to post more pic's but was denied.
Lupus Dei View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Club Secretary Emeritus

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lupus Dei Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 25 2016 at 7:20pm
Only denials should be size.
Try resizing or cropping out background
Louis Dey
Admin
www.uscarbinecal30.com/forums
bumppo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bumppo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2020 at 3:32pm
same marking on my early Inland (49382). the 'hyphen' seems to be more like a unique character, close to serifed 1 on its side, but not exactly that either. 
 Post Reply Post Reply