Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2nd Run M1A1

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R6T8net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2nd Run M1A1
    Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 6:05pm
A friend of mine has offered me this M1A1. I have given a deposit and he has agreed to hold it for me while I do my due diligence and research. I'm by no means an expert but after pouring over this website, reading a Canfield article and getting a little feedback from a FB group, I think it looks pretty darn good. I'm hoping to reach a broader audience here and get more feedback regarding and also guidance on what else to look for. I'll upload a few pics and provide a link to more. Thanks in advance.

http://s95.photobucket.com/user/r6t8net/slideshow/M1A1
tenOCEE View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Knows rear sights!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenOCEE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 7:17pm
Looks very intriguing.
Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 8:21pm
I've seen worse for sure. I wonder how much.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 9:48pm
Ask or take pictures of the middle right side of the stock as they are absent.  The back side of the stock is shown, but only at hard to see angles. Is the barrel dated? Check for signs of M1A1 wear marks. Check the lower hinge screw and figure out why it appears to be partially backed out.
R6T8net View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R6T8net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 10:37pm

Barrel does not have a month or year date. For some reason I did not get full side pics, I guess I was to focused on the details. I'll stop by tomorrow and get more and check on the screw. My number is $3k for rifle and paratrooper case.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2016 at 10:49pm
Undated barrel could be consistent in that serial range. If dated it should be around 11-44
kro1970 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kro1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 8:28am
Looks good. Does the trigger housing have the vertical Inland logo and oil hole on left side behind the mag catch?
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 8:33am

Insert picture of missing section here.

R6T8net View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R6T8net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 9:37am

Yes and yes.
R6T8net View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R6T8net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 3:32pm
Here are the requested pics. I hope I don't have to go back and fondle her some more

R6T8net View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R6T8net Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 3:37pm
Last few

Wear patterns on back of receiver appear to match stock and I couldn't see any wear from a standard recoil plate. Barrel has a small P stamp a few inches back from front sight, it's hard to tell if it's white or not due to grime and light patina.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2016 at 7:55pm
Stock looks like birch. Nothing wrong with birch, but i am no wood expert. What color are the back of the rivet?

Also, need to see more details.in barrel area. Take pic of stock nose as if looking down on it with barrel band out of the way. Also see distinct line not far below barrel marking. In addition take clear pic of barrel near where it meets gas cylinder. Would also like to see close up but clear pic of muzzle as if looking down on it. A great way to take a pic of this area is include the front sight but focus on the barrel.

Hard to see pic of recoil plate area near tang...pic is fuzzy.
 Post Reply Post Reply