Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

6.5 Million Winchester

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 6.5 Million Winchester
    Posted: Dec 03 2016 at 12:59pm
Here are some pictures of my 6.5 million Winchester I picked up at the Tulsa Gun show. The gun is very clean and doesn’t show evidence of much use. When I removed the recoil plate, I saw that the hole for the bolt has been sleeved. This is new to me. It looks like a factory job and there is no evidence that I see of any arsenal re-working.

floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2016 at 1:47pm
What's going on with the band-spring? Can't say that I've seen a hollow one, but I am relatively new to carbine ownership and interest.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2016 at 1:59pm
Nice Carbine...The Front Sight Pin Hole looks a little different or it just might be that angle. I like the Correct T3 BB. The Stock looks Sanded and Cleaned up. Thanks for Sharing your Pictures.
Frank

hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2016 at 2:29pm
The stock was very dry so I wiped it down with denatured alcohol and put on a coat of RLO. What you see in the spring hole is some dried RLO.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 03 2016 at 5:39pm
Nice looking carbine.  Know little about late Winch's.  A little better with late Inland's but only with a wire stock.  Developing a taste for them though.  Gotta research some more before I dig in.  Thanks for sharing hunterman.
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2016 at 9:51am
My guess is, that sleeve is to prevent over tightening the tang bolt.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Why Carbines? View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2016 at 10:24am
Originally posted by Charles Charles wrote:

My guess is, that sleeve is to prevent over tightening the tang bolt.

Could be, but you'd think it would have been seen it more carbine stocks than it is. I think we've all seen cracks inside that area of carbine stocks and outside too. It's still a nice looking Winchester stock no matter what's been done to it.
NewScotlander View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Advanced Collector

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NewScotlander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2016 at 1:08pm
Is that gray paint I see on the windage screw bushing, left side of the rear sight?

hunterman View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2016 at 2:47pm
Here is a lesson in trusting your eyes (or not). What looks like a sleeve is a mark in the wood probably made by the the drill chuck. It's all wood as I found when I investigated with a pen knife.

I don't think the front sight has been off and the T-3 barrel band looks original to the gun.

And the winner of the "good eye" award goes to Newscotlander. Gray paint as described in CC NL 355. I missed this.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 04 2016 at 2:57pm
Gray paint, CCNL 355.  Got it.  Thanks!

BTW, the line left on the receiver is just spectacular.
Johnboy490 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnboy490 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 05 2016 at 7:21pm
Very nice looking Winchester carbine, and just great pics,
 Post Reply Post Reply