Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Barrel-Band MMG?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barrel-Band MMG?
    Posted: Oct 29 2016 at 1:43pm
I've just about identified all the parts in/on my Underwood, except for the barrel-band. It's a Type III marked with "MMG". I've not been able to discover much in the barrel-band arena. This could be some aftermarket piece, but it doesn't matter. I acquired the little gun to shoot....and shoot it does. The subject weapon has a 12-43 dated Underwood barrel. SN: 2588024.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2016 at 6:01pm
Could the marking be MMQ? Is the lug marked?
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2016 at 6:16pm
If nothing else...U guys on the forum will make an old man go find his good glasses...LOL.

YES...the marking is indeed "MMQ" and "EM-Q" on the lug.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2016 at 6:33pm
Actually...I JUST stumbled across a picture of the very one I have here in the forum archives. I understand these were not adopted until late 44 and did not find their way to many weapons at the tail-end of the war, but were used as replacements. However, it was reported that these T3's improved accuracy. The picture of the one shown in the archives is stamped exactly like mine, but there is no mention of who actually made it. The only information I find is that some subcontractor made it and it was produced and retrofitted up into 60.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 29 2016 at 8:49pm
CCNL 356-7. Band might have been made by Maid-O-Mist Inc. EM-Q bayonet lug probably made by Elign Metal Novelty Co. Both subcontractors for Quality Hardware.

From what I've read, type 3 bands were produced during and after the war. And some were used during the war.
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2016 at 5:59am
You've helped me solve it m1. Sometimes, just a little something from someone else is enough help to make one understand what they are reading, or looking for. I believe the correct answer was in the archives all along under the "Barrel Group" discussion. No mention was made of the possible subcontractors, which you were able to shed some light on.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2016 at 6:56am
Not a problem. That's what a community is all about. Helping others learn is paying it forward for those who helped me when I first started collecting.
 Post Reply Post Reply