Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My National Ordinance Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitebeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My National Ordinance Carbine
    Posted: Oct 24 2016 at 11:32am
Thanks to this forum I now know that my M1 carbine is not a war surplus item (as assumed when I bought it).  It was manufactured between 1960 and 1962 by National Ordinance.  The stock is not orange so it is probably walnut and looks fine.  The rifle does have a bayonet mounting post.  I have had it for about 50 years.  Soon after purchase, I test fired three rounds with no problems, but it has not been fired since.
I kept it all these years as a personal defense weapon, but recently purchased a modern replacement and would like to sell it.  Given that it is not a collector's item, it is worth less than I thought it might be. 

I have two questions:
1) Is it safe to sell?  Although a few of these National Ordinance guns did have problems, most are fine and I have read that they were commonly used by some police departments. 
2) What realistically is it worth? 

I only want to sell it to some one who understands that it is a commercial product and not war surplus.  I am not into cheating people.

Nitebeam
nitebeam
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2016 at 1:15pm
If you have it certified SAFE by gunsmith and can determine a fair price, and post a photo, you may have some luck selling it.
Charlie
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

nitebeam View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitebeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 14 2016 at 2:24pm
Charles, Thanks for your response.  Think I have a buyer at a low price.
nitebeam
USAF Ammo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote USAF Ammo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 04 2017 at 1:23pm
I have a National Ordinance Carbine manufactured in 1966. I have shot 50 + rounds with no problems. Mine had the Blond stock, which I didn't care for and since stained it. It had a flat profile top guard, and i have purchased and replaced it with a metal guard.
Ammo
 Post Reply Post Reply