Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Varient?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitebeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Varient?
    Posted: Oct 22 2016 at 12:02pm
Hi,  I am new to the forum and have a question regarding my M1 Carbine.  I purchased it in a gun shop in 1965 and have been unable to identify exactly which version I have.  What is unusual:  The hand guard is solid (no holes), stamped metal instead of wood.  I have come to realize that this configuration is uncommon and am wondering if anyone can help me identify what version it might be?

Additional information:  It is equipped with a bayonet post.  Barrel stamping reads US. CARBINE  CAL 30 Ml,  the S/N 16413 is located on the forward part of the rear sight.  Stampings behind the rear sight are difficult to read.  They look something like  N * * L   u n D  where the * represents unreadable markings.

Thanks so much for anyone who may have thoughts regarding which variant I have.

Nitebeam
nitebeam
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2016 at 2:45pm
Sounds like a commercial made National Ordnance.

http://www.m1carbinesinc.com/carbine_natord.html

Is your stock orange-ish or brown?
nitebeam View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitebeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2016 at 4:38pm
Thanks Dan Pinto!

Will look into that possibility.  Don't know if I would call the stock orangish, but it is certainly lighter in color than others I see pictured on this forum, and that may be one way to describe it.  Appreciate your response.

nitebeam
nitebeam
nitebeam View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nitebeam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2016 at 4:42pm
Dan Pinto,

I went to the URL you included and that is the gun I have, absolutely, except that the stock is not orange.  I see from the pictures what you mean about orange colored stock.  Mine is more of a tan, but you found the manufacturer.  Thanks again for that information.

nitebeam
nitebeam
 Post Reply Post Reply