Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

My last delivery - Austrian Carbines

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My last delivery - Austrian Carbines
    Posted: Oct 09 2016 at 4:29pm
This is my last delivery of M1 Carbines. In most of the books/websites they are referred to as Bavarian Carbines although these ones were in use by the Austrian Customs. All three are marked with ZW (Zollwache) and a number in front of the trigger guard.
I had the chance to chose from a range of around 60 carbines so I took three carbines of delivery batches where I haven't got any carbine yet. From the top it are a Quality Hardware (19xxxxx), an Underwood (40xxxxx) and a Saginaw S'G' (18xxxxx).

The Pistol is a FN 1910/22 of the Danish Police of the first delivery after the German Occupation. These pistols were ordered in 1945 and the delivery took place in 1945-1946.

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2016 at 12:46pm
What is that large device around the rear sight? Is it to protect the sight in shipment, or during use

Retired Army, 22 years.
aschaefer View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aschaefer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2016 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by wd4ngb wd4ngb wrote:

What is that large device around the rear sight? Is it to protect the sight in shipment, or during use

Both possibilities could make sense. As it is quite massive it would protect the sight during transport.
Once the device is installed the windage cannot be changed anymore.

Here is a link to this and other accessories in use by the Austrians
http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/austriaaccess.html

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2016 at 3:33pm
Seems they did some extra stuff to them. Interesting...  If I had one of the Carbines that were used by them, I would be looking into all these neat things. 

Retired Army, 22 years.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2016 at 6:14pm
Very nice.  First I've seen with those markings.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2016 at 12:11am
Have a look at: http://www.bavarianm1carbines.com/Zoll.html

I discovering Euroarms acquired these a number of years ago. I attempted contact with no response. However, one of the owners doing a web search of his company name found the page above then contacted me.

Unfortunately these cannot be imported into the USA. I would have done so with one if I could. The owner at Euroarms was kind enough to send me a couple of the rear sight protectors and a few other small items for my display.

Jim
 Post Reply Post Reply