The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Safety/ Accuracy/Shooting/Ammunition/Care and Maintenance
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

bolt on my Plainfield locked forward

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: bolt on my Plainfield locked forward
    Posted: Oct 07 2016 at 8:17pm
What caused the bolt on my Plainfield carbine to get locked up in the forward(closed) position. A friend at my local pawn shop had to slam the charging handle with a mallet to get it open. He thinks it's a result of me shooting wolf ammo
fishes-alot View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishes-alot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 30 2016 at 11:01am
Sounds like the bolt is oversize or damaged and there is not enough room for the locking lug to close freely.  I would have a gunsmith check out the bolt and the head space before shooting it any more. 
asc
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 6:28am
DO NOT SHOOT STEEL CASE AMMO!!
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 6:40am
What cali said. Words to live by.
GARY R View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 31 2016 at 12:44pm
Thank you for the replies. I only shot steel case because I bought them for a great price. However I'am out of steel case and recently bought 400 rds of brass cased. I agree, I'am sticking to brass. But do you think the steel was the cause of the bolt locking up. It happened towards the very end of the day at the range after shooting 150 rds
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2016 at 5:38pm
Would still check it out to make sure all is well, i.e. nothing damaged.  Have never shot steel cased ammo in a carbine.
cali201 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cali201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2016 at 5:53pm
I am betting on the steel case. If all looks well upon inspection give the brass a try. This has happened to quite a few firearms with steel case ammo. I personally would only use it in what it was designed for, commie .30s
GARY R View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GARY R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2016 at 6:14pm
Thank you for your time gentlemen. Steel has been flawless in my VEPR, Saiga and WASR 10!
shadycon View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadycon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 01 2016 at 6:43pm
When you get the bolt out, Clean the chamber real good and check the gas piston for movement. Do not remove the piston! If it is stuck, soak it overnight with a good cleaner. Russian ammo is REAL dirty!!!
Russian guns are designed to digest it.
painter777 View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote painter777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 23 2016 at 6:05pm
Gary R,
Any updates?

Curious as I just fixed a friend of a friends Plainfield with the same issue.
In this case the hammer had worn or chipped enough metal off the stopping point on top of the trigger housings top left rail that the hammer (when striking forward) would travel down inside the trigger housing and lodged the internals (including the bolt). I pulled the TH, cocked the hammer, send it home and it would wedge in between. Hope this makes sense. May not be your problem, but look over the left top rail at the stopping point of your hammer after strike. In our case I replaced his cast TH with a used GI TH and the problem was cured.

Beside the replies given by the above members (all worthy) Check to see if you haven't thrown or have a Extractor plunger turned or missing.

Good Luck........ Shoot Safe,

Cheers,
Charlie-Painter777
Living Free because of those that serve.....
Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 3:48pm
A range attendant said I needed to keep an empty casing in the chamber when not firing. Chambered an empty  steel casing, bad move, it jammed. Took a very forceful cycle to eject it. Don't know what happened but will never do it again.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 27 2017 at 4:01pm
I've been shooting that Russian stuff without any problems for a long time.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

Post Reply Post Reply