The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Another New NC Member

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Another New NC Member
    Posted: Sep 28 2016 at 5:06pm

Greetings from North Carolina; old man here pushing 80 and not very active with firearms these days, however, early on I received training on and have experience shooting a wide range of USA and foreign firearms while serving in several airborne units ending up assigned to the 2nd/503 Airborne Infantry Regiment during the Vietnam era. In addition, I was a competition shooter, and for many years a licensed firearms collector mostly focusing on old military firearms; 1800’s, WWI, WWII, and Korea.  With that said it may seem strange that the only M1 carbine I kept is not a collectable, however, don’t worry the originals are now in the good hands of younger collectors. 

Anyway, my M1 carbine keeper was built for me by the Fulton Armory back when they used military receivers. Mine was built on an Underwood receiver and included; the bayonet lug, all new GI surplus working parts, a new commercial barrel, a new commercial type III low wood style American walnut stock, and the M2 carbine magazine catch I ordered. I wanted a carbine able to hang on to 30-round magazines and one overall as close to a newly issued M1 carbine as possible; this one did not disappoint. I’ve shot it in standard military configuration and with an UltiMAK Forward Optic Mount and an EOTec with excellent results.

I did not become very familiar with the M2 carbine until the 1960’s after my unit finally received the much waited for M14 rifles to replace our WWII M1 rifles. The M14 rifles, unfortunately, had to be returned for replacements because it was impossible to keep their sights aligned.  Low level troopers like me were never given details on the analysis done by ordnance experts, we were just told our batch was manufactured with some kind of heat treating issue and could not take the impact stresses of parachute landings.  Of course our M1 rifles were already returned and the only rifles quickly available to fill in during the replacement delay was a cache of M2 carbines refurbished and stored away since the Korea War. Until the replacement M14 rifles arrived months later our unit was armed only with M2 carbines.

Interestingly the M2 carbine issued to me was an arsenal converted M1 carbine originally manufactured by the IBM Corp. in Poughkeepsie, N.Y; all I knew about IBM back then was they made business machines and had no idea they had manufactured carbines, the Norden Bombsight, etc. I also had no way of knowing that later in life I would work almost 50-years for IBM as an engineer designing computer electronic hardware.

Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2016 at 6:00pm
Welcome aboard, and welcome home! While I was never "in country" I understand where you were and what you suffered. As the son of a WW2 BM1, "Frogman" (UDT/Navy Rifle Team) I understand.

It sounds as if you really enjoy your Carbine! Keep us informed and let us know what is happening!

Again, Welcome aboard from an "Old Salt". Avation Machinist's Mate (Jet) USN. (Sworn to serve my country on 7/19/1973).
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 28 2016 at 11:16pm
Welcome to the forum. My grandfather in !aw worked for IBM and had something to do with punch cards for early computers.
In the service he was in intelligence.

Got to dig out his WWII photos.
JamesG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2016 at 9:54am
Captain O,
Thanks for the welcome....

It's clear you are proud of your father as you should be; I know WWII history and as you will agree the Navy frogman had a tough role to play and played it well.

About the only shooting I do these days is in an indoor facility built with several pistol and rifle ranges and used primarily for law enforcement training. Tax payers like me have access to it a couple of days a week. One rifle range is 100 yards long and just right for carbine shooting.    
JamesG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2016 at 9:59am
New2brass,

Thank you as well....

I followed some of your posts on how to upload pictures and avatars already, they were very helpful.

You jogged my memory because at IBM I go back far enough to have worked with punched cards; l haven't thought about one in years.
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2016 at 5:45pm
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2016 at 6:34pm

IBM war time pictures in this thread

Someone got to write a IBM article! Lots of pics!

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2016 at 6:54pm
Would be a great article. A connection at IBM would be a must to get max value.   I've talked to a few current IBM employees and they didn't know their company made carbines and such during the war. Not surprising, but what a treat it would be to comb through their archives.

Would be good to include in the article like the National Postal Meter Company acquired IBM's The Ticketograph Division in 1942.

And of course, the pictures as noted above.
JamesG View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamesG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2016 at 7:55pm
I believe the M1 carbine building in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. was torn down many years ago to make room for a new building; I'll see if any of my old contacts know for sure.

The Norden Bombsight was manufactured in Endicott, N.Y. and the building was still in use during my early times at IBM; I took a tour and was told small parts for the M1 carbine were also manufactured in the building. IBM sold all the manufacturing buildings and while there is a great desire by the city to have them torn down chemical processes used going all the way back to the 1930 is causing cleanup efforts and delays. 

Endicott is somewhat unusual; I can tell you from personal experience old facilities usually don't last long; for example, as part of IBM's effort to get out of the computer hardware development business in the USA, my whole organization was sold to Lenovo in 2014; as soon as were off the site IBM leveled the lab building I worked in for over 20 years, buried what was left of the foundation, and planted grass on the hill. Today it looks like the huge grave it is.

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2016 at 8:58pm
Visited the Thomas J. Watson research facility right after Watson and Jeopardy. Had a great time there talking with Dave Ferrucci and his team. Ferrucci has moved on but seeing the iterations of Watson vs. the finished product was fantastic. Very cool facility. Toured the building including the Jeopardy set (the show was filmed there)) and a visit to their museum. Think the museum was at a separate facility somewhere in NY but can't remember where. Unfortunately, I wasn't a collector then but their patent wall and the server farm behind the Jeopardy set was ridiculous. A top notch museum.

Have reached out a few times via the Internet, but nothing substantial as of yet. Really want pics not available on the Internet and the story. IIRC, a Carbine Club member has contacted and interacted with them in the past.
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 29 2016 at 9:06pm
In the where are they now article I posted above it confirms NY plant was leveled
 Post Reply Post Reply