The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

After reading the "Who makes the best" thread...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: After reading the "Who makes the best" thread...
    Posted: Sep 19 2016 at 5:22pm
After reading the "Who currently makes the best Commercial Carbine" topic, I'm a bit relieved about my decision to buy an A/O Carbine for the money that I had.

Unfortunately, Kate Brown (D) is our current Governor. This anti-gun heretic is attempting to eliminate our 2nd amendment rights by any means possible. (She's working on limiting self-loading magazine capacity bill, among other legislation).

The A/O is all I can afford at the time, and sadly seems less problematic the products from another manufacturer that quite closely mimics A/O specifications. It appears that the A/O rifles run a bit better, with fewer problems. Cry

I like My A/O and it looks as if it should shoot well. Eventually I will be making some alterations (adding an M2 magazine catch, "wing-type" safety and adjustable rear peep-sight). After a while, I'll probably try to pop for a James River Armory "Rockola" carbine.

For the time being, I'll, "run what I bought". 
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2016 at 8:01am
I think you will like it just fine. The biggest problem people are having with the new carbines, are using poor magazines, and the rifles not being properly worked in prior. This is normally done at the factory by a machine working the bolt many time prior to being lubed. This helps the matching parts to work together better when actually fired. It works the same as lapping valves when rebuilding a engine. I found that the new Korean made magazines work as good as perfect USGI ones, at a fraction of the cost. They are made of a slightly thinner metal, but work perfectly. 

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2016 at 3:14pm
I took the leap and bought a number of Keepshooting magazines. These seem to be well made and have a lot of good reviews. Do you have any further information concerning these?

I'll see how well they work.

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2016 at 4:10pm
Those are on my Good list.  The 15 round should have U on the back, and the 30 rounder UU  

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2016 at 4:18pm
United Defense LLC claims that these are made in the USA. Do you know the truth behind this claim?

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2016 at 6:39pm
Do they have the U on the back of the 15, and UU on the 30 round?

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2016 at 7:16pm
There are no markings at all on the 30 round magazines. None whatever. 

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 21 2016 at 9:50pm
No idea then. I guess they changed suppliers. Last year they were selling the Korean ones.  Hell, load them up and shoot that thing. Let us know how they work.

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 22 2016 at 3:34pm
These magazines have no markings, no corrugation, just smooth, round, folded metal. United Defense LLC states that not only are they manufactured in the U.S., they've had few complaints concerning them.

I hope they work and work well.

Charles View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 24 2016 at 10:12pm
Spent the day working on my collection of 20 or so original and new 15 and 30 round mags. Most of them had the springs in backwards, some needed the springs stretched out and some needed a little file work around the part that guides the round out of the mag. It was time well spent as they now spit the rounds out perfectly.
Charles
Co B 1st Batl.115 Inf. Reg.
29th. Divi.
4.2 Heavy Mortar Co Retired
Life member NRA

RClark9595 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RClark9595 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 10:45am
Fulton Armory not only sells the best reproduction carbines available today, they also sell USGI 15 round mags and South Korean 30 round mags at reasonable prices, something to look into. This is were I bought mine, and have had no problems.
Ron

USAF 4535 CCTS
F4 Combat Crew Training
Vietnam era Vet.
sleeplessnashadow View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleeplessnashadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 22 2017 at 11:08am
Wait until Fulton has a holiday sale. The Black Friday sale is limited wheras in the past Christmas and New Years has been a percentage off everything.

Think about this: A Fulton barreled receiver with complete bolt, headspaced, the front sight, gas fixins and barrel band for $725. Yeah, the parts needed will add up but some of us have the parts as spares.

Jim

Post Reply Post Reply