Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

I'm so glad to see few "haters" here.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I'm so glad to see few "haters" here.
    Posted: Sep 11 2016 at 9:17pm
On other sites there are people that tend to "bash" Commercial Carbines. It is all I personally can afford. Perhaps some can be convinced that any functional and accurate Carbine, is a decent Carbine. There shouldn't be any vituperative invectives tossed about when discussing to the M1 Carbine, USGI or otherwise.

While I'll tend to agree that some Carbines are better than others: Fulton and James River (The "New" Rockola) Carbines are the best of "the new breed", there are others that have cast receivers which may not be as refined as the milled-steel type. Many "teething" problems have been experienced by some. Others may experience feeding problems and may not be built to military specifications, or "mil-spec".

There are also some that were poorly manufactured and, sad to say, were truly marginal when originally produced. I am pleased to say that the makers of these arms are no longer among the contemporary crop.

We need to be supportive, and avoid terms such as "junk", unless the arms were so poor that nothing cold be done to make them worthy of either possessing, or fielding.

While it may not be much, it is just my $.02 worth.

Captain O. 
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

Wrdsmth View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrdsmth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 8:03pm
Good points!

It's my opinion that all of the M1 Carbines share some DNA. While there are variances, there are more similarities. The design is proven, time- and battle-tested, and worthy of our admiration.

What this also means is that whatever issues any individual M1 rifle (or owner) may experience, a solution is probably simple enough to both diagnose and make happen.

I own a USGI Std. Products, a later Universal, and a new Fulton. I like them all, and they all shoot and function very well. I'm always trying to make them better, if I can. But they all share the qualities that made this design so popular- they are lightweight, accurate, and fun to shoot!
Writer, Hot Rodder, Racer, Life Enthusiast
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 12 2016 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by Wrdsmth Wrdsmth wrote:

Good points!

It's my opinion that all of the M1 Carbines share some DNA. While there are variances, there are more similarities. The design is proven, time- and battle-tested, and worthy of our admiration.

What this also means is that whatever issues any individual M1 rifle (or owner) may experience, a solution is probably simple enough to both diagnose and make happen.

I own a USGI Std. Products, a later Universal, and a new Fulton. I like them all, and they all shoot and function very well. I'm always trying to make them better, if I can. But they all share the qualities that made this design so popular- they are lightweight, accurate, and fun to shoot!

There have been a number of stories about New Inland Carbines damaging locking lugs, bolt peening and receiver problems. While I believe Ron Norton has addressed these problems, the "soft bolt" stories will hound his rifles for a long time. 

Auto Ordnance magazines wells have been criticized for being "out of spec" and causing jams. I have been reading more than one story on other forums from other Auto Ordnance Carbine owners that have had a few jams, but the owners also state that after firing between 100-200 rounds, their rifles shoot reliably, very well and accurately to boot!

It just goes to show you that buying a USGI Carbine isn't a prerequisite to have a fine shooting M1 and the fun that goes with it.

The only M1 "clone" that hasn't seemed to overcome these problems is the Chiappa 9mm M1. I watched the results of a 500 round "shooting in" of the piece.  They continue to suffer the problem of failing to shoot a full magazine without jamming. (How sad). 
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

Post Reply Post Reply