Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Commercial Carbines
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Project - Sheepdog - Auto Ordnance Carbine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Project - Sheepdog - Auto Ordnance Carbine
    Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 8:47pm
If you purchase an Auto Ordnance carbine of any type, it may behoove you to visit a page entitled  Project Sheepdog Auto Ordnance Carbine. Read the entire article and discover how to make the Auto Ordnance completely reliable.

This is accomplished by using 280 grit and 400 grit sandpaper, an M2 magazine catch and lapping compound. Couple this with a Wolff recoil spring change and approximately 1 1/2 hours manual labor and you will render the Auto Ordnance as reliable as any USGI Carbine. Such efforts will result in an utterly reliable Carbine.

The author states that the hour and one half labor, sand paper, lapping compound, M2 magazine catch and spring replacement will cost between $35.00 and $45.00.

Sounds cost effective to me! 

(I altered the price to reflect the cost for people that don't have either lapping compound or an M2 magazine catch).
"Political correctness is fascism disguised as manners." - George Carlin

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final." - Wyatt Earp

Wrdsmth View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrdsmth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 9:35pm
The good news is that it doesn't take much time, effort, or expense to make this rifle super-reliable.

The bad news is that you have to invest that time, effort, and expense into a brand new rifle.

But, considering the overall cost these new rifles are actually changing hands for, maybe that's not such a bad deal!
Writer, Hot Rodder, Racer, Life Enthusiast
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 9:37pm
Here is the link to which Captain O refers...

http://www.projectsheepdog.blogspot.com

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Wrdsmth Wrdsmth wrote:

The bad news is that you have to invest that time, effort, and expense into a brand new rifle.

Yes, that is a condition that many semi-auto (Kahr) Auto-Ordnance Thompson owners have dealt with. Most of them work fine out of the box, but a good number of them require follow-up, or some kind of owner tweaking to enable reliable functioning.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2016 at 9:48pm
After I obtain mine, I'll let everyone know how well my is functioning "out of the box" before any "tweaking" is performed. Granted, I will have only paid $820.00 (OTD) for my AOM 130 and an investment of another $60.00 will be worth avoiding the frustration of burning up ammunition (to the tune of $100.00) to "break in" the rifle.

Besides, once this has been accomplished, I can use soft point ammunition without reservations. This is important, because I prefer using the M1 Carbine for HD/PD instead of my 18" barreled Remington 870 shotgun. Quicker follow-up shots, lower recoil, devastating results and between 15 and 30 rounds of powerful man-stopping ammunition at my disposal.

I like it! 

wd4ngb View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wd4ngb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2016 at 9:45am
The Blog has very good information to be used on any Carbine that is actually used, and not a Safe Queen. The reproduction ones need this done for sure, since they have not been built to the Ordnance Dept Specs, and have not seen a lot of firing to break them in. 

Another thing I would do while you are installing the M2 type mag catch, is replace the push button Safety with a rotating one, to prevent accidentally pushing the mag release while trying to take off the safety. This is Very Easy, and many You Tube vids covering it. Be careful of the spring flying... :)

Retired Army, 22 years.
Captain O View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain O Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 11 2016 at 3:47pm
Late last night I located a You Tube video illustration of how to perform this modification.  If my Auto Ordnance shoots well as it is, I may simply try to "break it in". I will, however, polish the feed ramp so that It can feed Soft Point and Hollow Point ammunition. This is a "must perform" alteration to maximize cartridge performance. 

Post Reply Post Reply