Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbine Accessories
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Let's Discuss M4 Bayonets & M8/A1 Scabbards

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Why Carbines? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2017 at 11:32am
Originally posted by NewScotlander NewScotlander wrote:

Probably the best book currently available for M3 and M4s. A bit pricey though.

Wow, pricey, you said it. I may save my pennies up and grab it then since I was wanting to learn some more about this subject.
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 05 2017 at 6:16pm
NewScotlander,

Thanks for the book recommendation. This looks like a good one, from what I have seen online since you posted about it. I'll see if the book dealer at OGCA has it on Saturday.

Thanks!

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 9:26pm
I ended up buying an M3 Fighting Knife last weekend. The apparent history of the knife was the reason I bought it.

The knife has "SILLS" scratched into the blade.

The sheath has "Bill Sills" inscribed on the front, with a faded drawing.

The back of the sheath features the name of the soldier's hometown, along with each Army base at which they were stationed, ending with a Pacific War area of combat in New Guinea. It is inscribed as follows:

New Cumberland, PA

Fort Ord, CAL

Camp Phillips, Kan

Jackson Barracks, New Orleans, LA

Camp Stoneman, CAL (This was a Pacific War embarkation point)

Finschhafen, New Guinea (This one took me a while to decipher - There was a major battle between Australian and Japanese forces there, and American forces joined, and then it became a significant Navy base)

I haven't found any information yet on a William Sills that I think is the same person who owned the knife.

Your thoughts?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
W5USMC View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote W5USMC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2021 at 11:03pm
David, nice looking M3, what manufacturer?
Wayne
USMC Retired
NRA Life Member
JohnnyDollar View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyDollar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 8:41am
Nice M3. 

I have an M4 with M8 scabbard that I picked up at a gunshow sometime in the 90's for my M1 Carbine.
Always felt like any milsurp rifle I bought needed a corresponding bayonet.

I doubt there is anything particularly special about it, except they were probably cheap back then. LOL

M4 made by Conetta, Vietnam war era, I believe. 
and 
USM8 scabbard, made by B.M. CO.  WWII era manufacture.

Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 1:09pm
Lets see if I can remember how to post pictures.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Ashtabula Rod and Gun Life member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 1:14pm
And a second one. Just a cross section of my blade collection.

OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 1:18pm
And yes, that hatchet is an actual US GI issue. One of the M3 trench knives is a smooth handle straight guard Case.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by W5USMC W5USMC wrote:

David, nice looking M3, what manufacturer?

W5USMC,

Thanks! I forgot to post the manufacturer. It's an Imperial. Though it appears the soldier took his sharpening stone to the marking.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 1:31pm
Many M3s and M4s had the US marking and the makers name "scrubbed" in that fashion post WWII. I have no idea why, but that is more common than you might think. It is rare that there was enough left of those markings to actually tell who made it. I've probably seen 20 or more that had that done to them!
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

And a second one. Just a cross section of my blade collection.

Looks like you have a PAL 36, a Ka-Bar, an M1917, long and short M1905 bayonets for the Garand, an M5 bayonet for the Garand, along with the axe and M3's.

I recently bought a PAL 36, as well.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
rdftwo View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rdftwo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 3:36pm
Gentlemen,
 I am not a blade guy...at all. I am the Sgt Schultz of knifes and bayonets. I have a few that I would like know more about. Would someone please private message me concerning whom on this forum I should solicit for question without offending them with my ignorance.
Regards
Aim Small...Miss Small
john843 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john843 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 3:40pm
Nice snag, an M3 with it's path to war documented! Is it usually safe to assume that if an M3 or M4 has the Bakelite spacers above and below the leather washers that it's WWII production? I have an Imperial M4 that has them and it seems like I remember reading when researching Imperial's that they used the spacers at first and then transitioned to full washers within their Wartime production.
I got a great deal on it ($105 and looks basically unissued) and knowing it's WWII prod. would make it that much better.

Thanks,
John
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2021 at 4:08pm
Earliest M3s were the blade dated. The next were the blade marked. Last production were the guard marked. Then came the M4 bayonets. As far as scabbards are concerned, M6 leather were first. Then came the short frog M8. Then came the mixed M8 marked M8A1. This is a group of M8 short frogs with wire hangers added and long frog M8s with wire hangers. Then came the M8A1 long frog with wire hangers. After that came the long frog M8A1 with wire hanger and metal tips. If you take the time to study them, there is an interesting evolution of the M3/M4 "fighting knives" and the M6/M8/ M8A1 scabbard series. 
There are many details that may be tied to individual makers of the knives. Among them are double tangs, bakelite spacers, smooth handles and bent vs straight guards. Other points of interest are things like rectangular vs star burst tang staking and groove patterns in the leather handles. While not as complex as the parts of the carbine, they can be a very interesting study in themselves.

Dave, you've got a good eye for blades. BTW, the 16 inch is an OL marked blade. I used to have a Wilde Tool 1943 16 inch, but someone offered me an amount that I couldn't refuse.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Rebel92 View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2021 at 3:17pm
floydthecat View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floydthecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2021 at 3:29pm
Nice!
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2021 at 8:15pm
I believe I dug out all my U.S. and U.S. related (Italian M4) blades for this photo. I have also started to collect U.S. 18" machetes.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
Smokpole View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smokpole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2021 at 9:26pm
Nice! I only have one machete.
OGCA Life member
NRA Life member
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2021 at 9:57pm
Originally posted by Smokpole Smokpole wrote:

Nice! I only have one machete.

I like to think that machetes are a tool/weapon that many Pacific War GI's used alongside their Carbines and Thompsons.

What kind of machete do you have? 18"?

My 18" machetes are as follows:

Disston 1943 with Boyt 1943 Sheath
Disston 1944 with Williamsville Duff Mfg. Co. 1944 sheath
True Temper 1945 (No sheath)
Ontario Knife Company 1943 with Atlas 1943 sheath
Ontario Knife Company with generic sheath (I bought this from Brigade Quartermasters in 1981)

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
SAR Writer
Eagle Scout
jeepwm69 View Drop Down
Recruit
Recruit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeepwm69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2021 at 11:02am
I only have one M4 that I got for $35ish about 20 years ago, thinking I was paying way to much for it at the time.  I'm not even sure where it is, but I need to dig it out.

I have one of these as well, that I found in my grandfather's basement.  I'm pretty sure my dad gave it to him as I've seen one at Dad's house as well and he's always been a milsurp junkie.

Anyone else here have a corpsman's knife?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12