Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Carbines of the Collectors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

This Gun Can Talk - Win M1 Carbine - Thai Coup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This Gun Can Talk - Win M1 Carbine - Thai Coup
    Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 8:18pm
I wanted to share a story involving an M1 Carbine that happened today. My very good friend of 30 years is selling his house, moving to a ranch that he is purchasing in TX. Long ago, his late father gave him a Winchester M1 Carbine. My friend wanted a folding stock on the Carbine back in the day, and switched out a reproduction M1A1 stock for the original. He thought he had left the original stock in his father's basement, and that it had either been burned in the fireplace, or thrown away. It was a story of regret that I had heard several times over the years, and we had even looked for a replacement stock. Well, the story has a happy ending...While cleaning out his house today, he found the original stock squirreled away! It hadn't been lost forever...just for 30+ years! So, now it's back on the rifle.

My friend's father worked for a well known U.S. government agency that has been involved in nation building, and other covert influences over the years. Back in the late 1940's, he was involved in the influencing of a failed coup in Thailand. That's where this Winchester came from. In the words of my friend, "She was saved from a watery grave late one night when it's brothers, Thompsons, Stens, 1911's, and hand grenades went to their watery death after a failed coup in Thailand. If caught, my Dad wouldn't have to do too much explaining; a Thompson, on the other hand, wouldn't have been good." So, this is a Carbine that actually has a story to go along with at least part of its history. I've heard my friend tell the story many times, and it was especially great to hear it again today.

He put it away in deep storage before he knew I wanted close-up photos. It's in the 5,700,000 serial number range, and has a round bolt, and a crossed cannon cartouche. I'll do a Carbine Data Sheet on it the next time I get a chance. Here are the photos he took today:

Your thoughts?

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 8:49pm
The stock definitely has the "look" and a type 2 band. Was the handguard also located with the stock?
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 22 2016 at 9:04pm
I believe the handguard stayed on the Carbine while the reproduction folding stock was installed on it.

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
 Post Reply Post Reply