The Carbine Collectors Club

Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > Registration Help /Rules/ Tutorials/New Member Introductions > New Member Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

"CCC" approved !!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "CCC" approved !!!
    Posted: Aug 01 2016 at 11:28am
         Good Morning all, got the good news this AM, am pumped. Have found more info here than any other site or from indivisuals. Will be a regular, want to share what little I know and find out more info on what we have, 2 carbines, NPW BAVAIAN and a Winchester rebarreled to 5.7MMJ.
          Thanks for allowing us on board. Woof woof Gus an me (Dave)
Car Wash Chris View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Car Wash Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2016 at 3:43pm
Welcome aboard, Tell me more about your Winchester. Late last fall I had a QHW that had a Winchester Barrel but was way over sized in the bore, to the point a 30. carbine round would fall all the way through. I never did figure out exactly what I had. Does yours use the carbine mag ? Can you show us some pictures please.

Thanks Chris
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 01 2016 at 6:29pm
Thanks for the note Chris, will be doing some pic post but will be a bit, yes it uses the 30 magazine, is a 30 carbine necked down to a 22, fun but why would someone do it to a Winchester, 30/40 years ago they were very inexpensive so who knows. There is quite a bit of info here on the forum, might want to take a look. Other cals were played with too, escapes me tho at this time, not sure of the numbers mfg'rd but were not a great deal.  Gus an me.
weimar_police View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weimar_police Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2016 at 6:26pm
I had dropped this as an auto open in my browser! ((re-added))

Welcome to the forum, it is full of nice folks!

The 5.7 Johnson Spitfire (if I remember right) was a popular project. I once bought a Garand for $325 at a yard sale (turned out to be a welded receiver, so had issues in reliability, sold it as that and got my money back).
However, what was interesting was that the guy had a 5.7 Johnson conversion, but it was already sold. I got several magazines, a bunch of brass and garand ammo and enblocs. overall it was a cool way to learn about the Johnson conversion!

I have wondered if a conversion to another cartridge would be cool, except that there is a huge assortment of soft point, solid etc already loaded and even more in handloading, but could see someone getting into a project!

Ed
Edward Tinker
Co-Author of Police Lugers 2012
Author of Veteran Bring Backs Vol I / Vol II and Vol III
Co-Author of the book Simson Lugers
David Albert View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Status Quo Challenger

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Albert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 28 2016 at 6:55pm
5.7mm was a popular conversion of the 1960's. You may be interested to look through the ads from that era in this post:

http://www.uscarbinecal30.com/forum/carbine-ads-in-shotgun-news-19601975_topic2550.html

David Albert
dalbert@sturmgewehr.com
NRA Life Member
Past Pres., The American Thompson Association
Amer. Society of Arms Collectors
OGCA/TCA/Carbine Club/GCA/IAA
SAR Writer
Author - The Many Firearm Designs of Eugene Reising
Eagle Scout
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2016 at 12:27pm
Thanks for the replies, we have researched this cal 5.7 spitfire as much as we can, did manage to find out quite a bit about it. Am most sure the barrel was made by Plainfield, trigger group also by them, however, as Plainfield ran out of USGI surplus parts they had made their own T-group housing, some were aluminum which was on mine and was really out of specks, had light hammer strikes on the cartridge, was due to an enlarged pin hole i'm sure, we have lucked out and was able to buy a complete Winchester T-group, all the primed cases we tried fired just fine, now to find time to make it too the range to have some more fun. Have about 500 cart's made up. 40 & 45 gr hornet bullets with 12grs IMR 4227, should be enough to give it a go. All in all seems like a fun cal. Will give an update  when we find out what it does.                                                

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 29 2016 at 5:09pm
Very cool. Can't wait to hear range report and see some pics. Almost forgot, welcome!
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2016 at 3:35pm
Pics of 5.7MMJ gas port lug, barrel top stamping and the aluminum trigger housing. Do believe parts are from plainfield. After looking at the Shotgun News pics I wouldn't doubt if the receiver is a reweld if so I think the cut was very small, is quite hard to tell. Hope were not to confusing by these pics.
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2016 at 3:37pm
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2016 at 3:38pm
SWANEEDMB View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SWANEEDMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 01 2016 at 3:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply