Click on the image above to learn more about the M1 Carbine

Forum Home Forum Home > The Club > General Discussion > Parts Markings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Marlin Barrels

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 16 2016 at 8:03pm
Thanks!
New2brass View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Dan Pinto, Photo Editor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New2brass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 18 2016 at 8:01pm
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2016 at 3:23pm
Dropped a carbine round into both Marlin Barrels. The one with the punch mark was even with the barrel skirt, whale the other was slightly higher.
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2016 at 6:58pm
Neither of these barrels have ever been shot, so it that difference simply a manufacturering tolerance?
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by m1a1fan m1a1fan wrote:

Strangley, I have yet to see and original carbine with a Marlin barrel. Doesn't seem like many survive as originally installed?

I'm confused about this post. It's probably that I don't understand it myself. I have a '44 NPM with a Marlin Barrel that has Strong Rifling and a M.E. of 1.5 on my Guage. It Shoots dead on.
Frank

m1a1fan View Drop Down
Hard Corps
Hard Corps
Got Para?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m1a1fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 4:16pm
No worries, I'll clarify. Have yet to see an original carbine with a Marlin barrel in person.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 4:48pm
Oh! I get it now...I'm Sorry. I have my NPM posted here awhile back and it came with the CMP Paper Work and a Sheet with all the parts listed. I always wondered about the the T2 BB it came with. I know IBM used them and in Warbaby 1 pg. 456 it says that IBM sent 35,000 to NPM on 1-25-'44 to 2-18-'44 to NPM on it's Third and Final Production. I have showed it to some collectors that knew about it but have not seen anyone discuss it.
Frank

imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 4:51pm
Here is my Barrel on my NPM
Frank

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 7:21pm
At least it's clean, mine looks really neat, inside and out!
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 7:53pm
I like the character of your Barrel it's Nice. From the picture angles I can't be sure but has your Muzzle been Recrowned ?
Frank

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 8:36pm
Would some different pictures help? I can take the rifle out in the daylight tomorrow and hopefully get some better images.
imntxs564 View Drop Down
On Point
On Point

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imntxs564 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 26 2016 at 8:53pm
No that's fine..I was just checking out your barrel. Looks Good.
Frank

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2016 at 4:37pm
Can anybody identify what these numbers might indicate on a Marlin Barrel?  I have the P on the top of the  barrel, but no punch.

This was asked to be identified, but I think it if simply pitting.

No punch!

Is this a worn punch mark???? can't really see it with the naked eye, but in this photo it sure looks like a punch...  IF SO, MY BARREL IS ORIGINAL!!!!!!

ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 1:23pm
I used the same nylon brush and Hoppes #9 that I cleaned the front sight with and punch mark is a bit more defined and no longer looks like a pit. I really think this is a punch mark because it is dead center on the top of the barrel and about mid way between P proof mark and the front sight. I am convinced the photo picked up the precise circular ghost of the punch mark. The amount of exterior barrel wear is evident in the photos, so if the milling marks are basically gone, this small residual mark must be a factory punch.
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 7:20pm
Sorry for all the posts.   I think I know enough about what I have and I will give you all a break. My deepest apologies for my exuberence with this new firearm. I have been around guns for nearly 50 years but never as a "collector" of an historical piece; always in the hunting, target and personal defense realm. This rifle has corrected a 40 year old mistake (selling an M1 to a friend).

Thanks for all your help and I'll report if, and when I decide what to do with my no longer original M1. My guess is it won't be my last.
gene of oregon View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gene of oregon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 9:06pm
Ted I for one have enjoyed this thread and Topic: New National Postal Meter M1 with 6 pages. Thanks, Gene
The flag does not fly because of the wind that blows it. The flag flies because each soldier's last breath blows by it!
ewallover View Drop Down
Grunt
Grunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ewallover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2016 at 11:37pm
THX, Gene.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12